M42 wiring harness questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 wiring harness questions

Ok, this one is gonna get into the weeds.

I am still working on my m42 2002 swap. I am now into wiring stuff.

Years ago when I was doing some m20 swapping I did a pretty comprehensive c101 pinout thread. I did it year by year and used all the etks I could find. Unfortunately the etks online are incomplete, but I did the best I could.

Today I was working on my m42 harness and decided that I wanted to get rid of the diagnostic connector so I didn't have to mount it in the 2002. No need for it.

I went through the etks for a 91 318is and an 89 325i to get a meshed view of what the pinout was. Got it all figured out and found that there was nothing keeping me from removing it. So I proceeded.

That's when I found something strange. A green and yellow wire leading from pin 6 on the c101 to pin 16 on the diagnostic connector.

The wire is in the etk for an '89 as grn/wt and it is supposed to splice and go to the oxygen sensor heater relay. Pin 6 on the c101 is shown as getting power from fuse 9 and is one of the wires that I was going to power on my build. Now it would seem that is not necessary.

Does anyone have a full etk for a '91 318i?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Here you go...full color, fully accurate M42 harness drawing. When I was making plans for my stand alone ECU conversion, I tore down a complete harness and mapped it out...the ETK diagrams are mostly accurate, but missing a few things and there are small errors.
    http://www.e30tuner.com/assist/m42wi..._318iS_OEM.pdf

The GN/YL wire is just switched 12V from fuse 9 & the ignition switch (via C101) to provide switched 12V at the diagnostic connector.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.

I got my harness trimmed down over the weekend. Removed the diagnostic connector, capped the wires I could fully remove from the harness and removed the wires I could get to. It's nice that the caps on the splices come off. A little heat softens them up enough to slide off and just snip the wire at the crimp.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

What are you doing for speedo?
        dlm ny country

Comment

Better late than never... I don't have a speedo plan at the moment. Cell phone.

Comment

Working...
          X