Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will these Dinan coil packs work on a conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will these Dinan coil packs work on a conversion?

Has anyone used these new'ish coilpacks from Dinan? I was getting ready to do a COP conversion and wanted to give these a go. They say they can be used on M52's, and I read those can also be used on M42's. Just wanted to doublecheck before purchasing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	210
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	10071416

They look about right, so yeah they are probably going to work. Just remember that you need to do a little trimming of the mounting eyelet for cylinder Home

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
      They look about right, so yeah they are probably going to work. Just remember that you need to do a little trimming of the mounting eyelet for cylinder Home
      Otherwise, it's a plug and play situation, right? Aside from the plate and hardware of course. I've seen some write ups where they're cutting into the ignition wires to remap them, and others where it plugs right into the coil pack. Just wanted to make sure it's the latter.

Comment

Yes, plug and play other than the mechanical hardware and trimming one of the eyelets.

You can run the stock coil wiring over onto the valve cover without cutting anything. it is sort of messy since they wires are a bit too long, but it is not the end of the world. Just make sure to have a reasonable service loop for the cable length that spans the chassis to the engine so that you don't fatigue the copper conductors. Also make sure that the main body of the cable bundle is secured well on the engine side so that none of the connectors on the coils see excessive tension or vibration.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
          Yes, plug and play other than the mechanical hardware and trimming one of the eyelets.

You can run the stock coil wiring over onto the valve cover without cutting anything. it is sort of messy since they wires are a bit too long, but it is not the end of the world. Just make sure to have a reasonable service loop for the cable length that spans the chassis to the engine so that you don't fatigue the copper conductors. Also make sure that the main body of the cable bundle is secured well on the engine side so that none of the connectors on the coils see excessive tension or vibration.
          Thanks for the advice. Placing order. Will report back once done.

Comment

Is this for convenience or is there actually a notable performance increase with it?

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
            1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
            1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
            2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

Originally posted by jsnppp View Post
              Is this for convenience or is there actually a notable performance increase with it?

Convenience mostly. That and a set of aftermarket coils cost less than plug wires I think. It also makes lots of room on the fender for guys who want to put a turbo over there.

Comment

And I’ve been having some issues with slow starts and rough idling, Am hoping it helps those too.

Comment

Just finished my Coil on Plug conversion. Super easy and fun project to do with the kid. He seemed to learn a good amount in the process too, which is always a plus. Anyway, I think it turned out nice, clean, and most importantly, runs great. And with the addition of new NGK plugs, the scientific "butt dyno" can feel a slight increase in power in the lower range. And just seems more responsive overall. NI still need to grind off the brackets from the old coil pack on the side there to open it up a bit more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8688.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	10073261

Comment

Very clean setup, nice work!

Comment

Working...
                    X