Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ouch. $$$ e30 318 specific ICV. does the e36 m42 version work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch. $$$ e30 318 specific ICV. does the e36 m42 version work?

realoem, 13411433627. 400.00 bucks for that little guy.

No wonder mine wasn't replaced when the m42 was shaped in. I used an entire can of brake cleaner, still stuck. it won't budge even with a little influence from a flat tip screwdriver. Will the e36 m42 version send the right signal to the e30. The shape is different. It look as if the hoses can be re - routed.

There is no reason to buy that from BMW, especially since it's a new Bosch part, and those have been extremely questionable as new items in E30s of late. I suggest trying a new knock off cheapie from ebay or elsewhere.

As to E36 ones, I believe both styles will work, as will IACVs from so many other BMWs of a similar era with slight modification.

Comment

Thanks for the lighting fast response. the e36 m42 version is more than half there cost of the e30 specific part.

Comment

Just be sure the number of pins on the IACV is correct, you want a 2 pin, and there are lots of 3 pin items out there.

Comment

I would not recommend a cheap one I have 2 that I had issues with.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post
            I would not recommend a cheap one I have 2 that I had issues with.
            What issues did you have?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

What issues did you have?
              The first one would idle high at 1000-1100 rpms and would also hunt idle. This issue went away as soon as the OE one went back on.
              The second one cause a grounding out issue. While driving the car would back fire and/or cut out. The cluster would also go nuts. I never had that issue until I put on the cheap ICV. I went back with my old one that I cleaned real good and the problem never returned.

I've have read where others have had bad experiences with knock off ICV. IMO it's better to bite the bullet and spend the money.
              Last edited by It's Soda Not Pop; 10-24-2022, 08:02 PM.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

What indications do you have the the ICV has gone bad? I have taken them apart and there is almost nothing in there that can fail. Unless the thing was sitting in a bucket of salt water for 6 months, it can probably be cleaned up and continue working. Blasting it out with carb cleaner is all that is needed usually. Just make sure to do it with the electrical connector facing upward so that the solvent is less prone to running down into the body.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I ordered a refurbished unit from eBay with a warranty to work for $92.00 and i will report back here with the results. The Bosch unit on my car is stuck open. full can of carb cleaner, soaking in cleaner. I tried to gently move it with a screw driver and it feels as if it is welded to the sides of the ICV. I considered taking it apart but then what. is their a rebuild kit?

Comment

What indications do you have the the ICV has gone bad.

All these things that the car is experiencing is random. I have had stalling and rough idle when slowing to a stop at a red light's. When that happens the car won't fire up right away its acts as if its flooded. The morning start up idle almost won't stay running unless i help it with the throttle. After a few seconds of me helping it its fine. until it randomly acts up. The ICV is stuck open so something is wrong with it. I don't know if its responsible form my issues.
                    Last edited by OSAH racing; 10-26-2022, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OSAH racing View Post
                      I ordered a refurbished unit from eBay with a warranty to work for $92.00 and i will report back here with the results. The Bosch unit on my car is stuck open. full can of carb cleaner, soaking in cleaner. I tried to gently move it with a screw driver and it feels as if it is welded to the sides of the ICV. I considered taking it apart but then what. is their a rebuild kit?
                      Good luck I hope this unit works for you. Like I said be leery of the cheap no name ones. But if this one is an actual refurbished OE one then it should be fine.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

BMW Idle Speed Stabilizer Python Injection 91-95 318i from eBay. Did 30 minutes of street driving and worked great so far. unless my idle issue is ambient air temperature related ( its 30 degrees cooler today than the last drive) i feel this should be resolved.

Comment

Working...
                        X