318is no idle when WARM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is no idle when WARM

If I try to restart it when it’s warm, it stalls out. Giving it gas solves the problem.Already checked that single connector under the cover and it is unplugged. Unplugging the vacuum to the FPR does nothing. As in, when the car is on and I pull the vacuum, the car does not react. Could it be a bad FPR? No smell of fuel in the engine bay however, exhaust does smell after initial start. My fuel economy is around 19. Any help is appreciated. Car starts up cold every time.
    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
    Last edited by AmosCake; 03-13-2023, 08:20 AM.

Have you check the Idle Control Valve to see if it is stuck close?

Comment

Originally posted by onesecond View Post
      Have you check the Idle Control Valve to see if it is stuck close?
      Yeah I checked it and it flaps normally as in it springs back. I also cleaned it as it was out but still the same issue.

Comment

check the resistance on the pins for the ICV. Also I vaguely remember reading that the camshaft position sensor going out can cause idle issues, but I can't remember where I saw it. A bad crankshaft sensor and you won't even be able to start the car, but if the cam sensor shits the bed, it just won't run well.
        1991 318is ---230K - DD
        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
          check the resistance on the pins for the ICV. Also I vaguely remember reading that the camshaft position sensor going out can cause idle issues, but I can't remember where I saw it. A bad crankshaft sensor and you won't even be able to start the car, but if the cam sensor shits the bed, it just won't run well.
          my idle is fine during cold start though wouldn’t these problem cause both cold and hot issues?

Comment

Aight did the blue sensor test and everything checked out

Comment

1. Do the stomp test or scan it with PC just to make sure there is not code on the ECU.
              2. Unplug battery for at least 1 hour to reset the ECU.

before you start chasing things, which seems to be sensor/electrical, lets make sure nothing is there
              Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
                1. Do the stomp test or scan it with PC just to make sure there is not code on the ECU.
                2. Unplug battery for at least 1 hour to reset the ECU.

before you start chasing things, which seems to be sensor/electrical, lets make sure nothing is there
                Okay did the stomp test and I got 1215 so something with the AFM? Not sure what though since the car runs and drives perfect. Its just the warm start issues

Comment

Originally posted by AmosCake View Post

Okay did the stomp test and I got 1215 so something with the AFM? Not sure what though since the car runs and drives perfect. Its just the warm start issues
                  ok, then something needs to be looked at but before you start, I would do Forum or learn how to clear the codes as part of the stomp test. Then drive the car and see if the code comes back. This is issue is probably related but you dont want this to be an old code that was stored.

Comment

ok, then something needs to be looked at but before you start, I would do Forum or learn how to clear the codes as part of the stomp test. Then drive the car and see if the code comes back. This is issue is probably related but you dont want this to be an old code that was stored.
                    I did a quick visual check to see if there are any leaks and saw a pretty big crack/hole under the intake boot(L-shaped). Ordered a new one for 50 bucks. Could that be causing the code?

Comment

I did a quick visual check to see if there are any leaks and saw a pretty big crack/hole under the intake boot(L-shaped). Ordered a new one for 50 bucks. Could that be causing the code?
                      Yes. Engine is allowing unmetered air into engine and that will mess with idle and performance. All depends on how bad crack/hole.

Comment

Yes. Engine is allowing unmetered air into engine and that will mess with idle and performance. All depends on how bad crack/hole.
                        I guess thats why my mpg is so bad lol. Ill check back when i install the new boot and clear code. Thanks

Comment

Sorry for the late update, been busy with school. The new boot fixed the problem. Cleared both 1215 and 1222 code and car starts right up after being warm for 20 min. Also realized the fuel pump had no filter sock so installed one. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for posting that it was fixed!

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
                            1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
                            1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
                            2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

Sorry for the late update, been busy with school. The new boot fixed the problem. Cleared both 1215 and 1222 code and car starts right up after being warm for 20 min. Also realized the fuel pump had no filter sock so installed one. Thanks
                              great news!

Comment

Working...
                              X