How hot does your car run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hot does your car run?

Ok, normally my car runs at just about a needle width shy of the halfway point on the gauge.
    but.... Lately it has gone WAY above usual operating temp.. like all the way to the mark after halfway...
    Do I need to check something out, and/or do i have a problem beggining to surface?
    i just wanna know wat u other M42 guys are running temp wise and if its normal to run this hot.

Thanks

-NICK

That doesn't sound right.

My '91 318i is generally between the blue bar an 1/4. Hottest I've seen it get was half way between 1/4 and 1/2, and that was in stop and go traffic on a 35-ish*C day with me driving like a jackass.

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
      Ok, normally my car runs at just about a needle width shy of the halfway point on the gauge.
      but.... Lately it has gone WAY above usual operating temp.. like all the way to the mark after halfway...
      Do I need to check something out, and/or do i have a problem beggining to surface?
      i just wanna know wat u other M42 guys are running temp wise and if its normal to run this hot.

Thanks
      You may want to chech m42club.com
      @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
        You may want to chech m42club.com

-NICK

Comment

try bleeding the cooling system

Comment

Might be the thermostat.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

bled coolant system today. not much change if any.

hey Ken, could u give a link to ur rebuild thread, i couldnt find it

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

mine runs at half.

Comment

both m42 engines ive had had run just shy of the half mark

Comment

mine ran really hot before, i changed the sensor on the side of the radiator and fixed my problems now it never goes past the middle, id say start with a termostat which is real easy to replace on the m42 shouldnt take more than half and hour

Comment

check: fan clutch , water pump , air in the coolant , temp sensor

Cant be anything besides those listed.

Comment

Mine runs just a hair past middle unless I am sitting around idling. It'll go between 1/2 and 3/4 at that point but never goes past. I noticed if I am going about 60mph and let it coast in neutral it'll creep up to the close to the 3/4 and once I put it back in gear it goes back down to 1/2. Not to thread jack but could I have an issue with the fan clutch? The car never ends up over heating even if I sit idle for 20 minutes.

Comment

Kind of an update: i changed my thermostat.

No difference :( but the new bmw coolant seems to have made the engine run a bit smoother than it was with the crap coolant it had b4.

-NICK

Comment

I have an m42 and have done everything for the coolant. First, my needle runs a needle lenght past 1/4 mark. I live in S. FL where it is hot. I have remove my fan clutch and just have an aux fan. If you swapped coolant, changed thermostat. Really did a good job with bleeding, as sometimes it takes twice and can be a pain with the m42, the next would be to test fan clutch.
                              Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Working...
                              X