1991 318iS Will Not Start - No Turn Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 318iS Will Not Start - No Turn Over

Car has run and drive just fine. Parked car and now it will not turn over. All electronics, lights, windows etc have power. All work. Turn key to start and starter is not spinning.

I know there are relays and a solenoid? How are those setup? What to check? Key to run and you can feel some of the relays click so those should be working.

It has been sitting now for a few days and tried to push start it and it just sputters a little bit. Could try more aggressive push starting I guess... would like the starter to turn over the engine. Would be easier.

Thanks!

How long has the car been parked? Like are we talking months, or days?
    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
    All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

Days...

Comment

Get in there and tap the starter with a hammer and see if it lets up and try to start it. it sounds like a solenoid; if you hear clicking while trying to start then your solenoid is good and the starter is baked. the shaft which is triggered by the solenoid to shoot out and spin the gear may be stuck or seizing.
        sigpic

Comment

It does not 'click click click'.

Sorry for me replying. I was there with him and then gave him a ride to Atlanta :)

Comment

My car does the same thing if my bat is dead, lights radio everything comes on, It wouldnt even push start. Swap batt and it started no prob.

Remember the M42 are high comp engines, it takes a lil more to turn them over.
            sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

load test your battery.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I'll let him know to check this... I didn't think of that. Maybe the car can't even fire it.

I THINK he tried to jump it.

Comment

Yea, I tried to jump. No good. Cleaned the terminals as there was a tad corrosion, but don't think it was near enough to cause it to lose connection. When I get back down there I will try all of the above. Hopefully get it rolling fine again.

Comment

Just now getting around to working on car. Jumped battery again to no avail. There is no clicking at all. So I assume it is the starter for sure. So hammer it a bit? Anything else I could try while I am at it?

Comment

Hammer while trying to start it. You say you have power everywhere else right? Check for 12v at the starter.

Comment

Yes... tap the starter. Try that first Nick.

Comment

and definitely get the car up to 10mph and try to start it.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

If you can get in there with a volt meter, make sure you have 12V at the large wire, if so, then take a small jumper lead, hook it to where the small wire is, and connect that to 12V if it does nothing, solonoid on the starter is Fubar'ed (change out the starter)

another check is to onhook the small wire, and with either a volt meter or test light, have a buddy crank it while checking for 12V at the small wire, if you have that, its most likly a starter.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                            Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Finally getting to fix this. Push start the car fires right up every time with little effort. Nice fresh battery. Known good starter installed. Tested solenoid outside of the car. Confirmed operation in the car. The piece is popping out to engage the flywheel and the starter does not spin...

Now what to test for? Not sure at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X