Raising m42 away from the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising m42 away from the ground

I've heard about this, and briefly looked into it.
    What is required to raise it a bit to gain an extra inch or two of ground clearance? Mounts?

Cheers!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

pondered the idea of this for years. FML lol

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

The manifold already sits super high in the bay, wouldn't there be clearance issues there? Not to mention possibly messing up the awesome handling characteristics of an m42 car.

-NICK

Comment

its about 1 to 1.5 inches of clearance from hood to intake top. The only real ghetto ass way to test this is to use the washer method.

Stack 4 decent sized washers on the top of your motor mount. This will lift it however thick the washers are. Itll give you about 2/3 of a inch more clearance between oil pan and road.

For those that are low thats a decent margin. One could possibly use a better spacer then washers from ace hardware. a decent machined spacer or even a taller motor mount would be better.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I've heard rumors that the (e34?) or some other model's mounts will raise it up..but again, I'm clueless.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

I know the e28 solid mounts work. Idk if that's what ur thinking of.

-NICK

Comment

You could just put a spacer atop the motormount, but why not just get a skidplate?
              Originally posted by Gruelius
              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

if you space the motor up would you have to space up everything else? so that the drivetrain is all in line?

Comment

Originally posted by tonywonder View Post
                  if you space the motor up would you have to space up everything else? so that the drivetrain is all in line?

you wouldnt HAVE to.. thats what the u-joints in the ds are for. Op, you're not low enough to be worried about this topic lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
                    you wouldnt HAVE to.. thats what the u-joints in the ds are for. Op, you're not low enough to be worried about this topic lol.
                    I've busted two oil pans already, avoiding every crack in the road for the last year or so. don't even get me started. it's caused me so many problems.

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                    You could just put a spacer atop the motormount, but why not just get a skidplate?
                    I did buy one. I've seen a lot of people saying that they've busted through the Ej plates, so I'm trying to take precaution.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

I've seen like one or two break through one of Eric's skidplates. If you hit something hard enough to smash your pan through one of his plates, you're going to need a few new suspension components as well.

Mine has taken a lot of abuse and is holding up great.
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                        I've seen like one or two break through one of Eric's skidplates. If you hit something hard enough to smash your pan through one of his plates, you're going to need a few new suspension components as well.

Mine has taken a lot of abuse and is holding up great.
                        This

Although i dont have an ej skidplate myself, ive seen them in person and you would really have to smash that thing break the pan. And unless you take driveways at 40 or try to smash concrete chunks in the road with your skidplate, you should be fine.

-NICK

Comment

Oui oui.
                          Blunt set me up with a pair of Bilstein Sport struts last week, and I am doing those, as well as E30 M3 CABS tomorrow evening. Currently on the *original* 230,000 miles Stock struts...will I be in for a surprise, or do they feel similar to stock??

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Did you post that in the wrong thread? lol

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                              Did you post that in the wrong thread? lol
                              no, just wondering if that should lessen my chances of the car's suspension bouncing enough to bust the pan again.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X