Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

really another ticking thread

you guessed it.

This one is different though, I have replaced everything that could be associated with engine tick, timing chain, timing chain sprockets, timing chain tensioner, timing chain rails, and all 16 lifter (incase anyone is curious no they are not cheap). Now my motor runs silent up to a point. If the vehicle is driven on the highway or engine speed is sustained about 2,500 rpms for more than a minute or two it will start ticking, and then after driving around back roads for 2-3 minutes it will go silent again.

It will also tick if I have gone for a long drive I shut it off and then start it within 30 minutes it will tick, if i wait more than an hour to restart there is no ticking.

And please i am not going to just deal with the noise after spending as much as i have to fix this issue i will get it sorted even if it bankrupts me. i just need an idea where to go next.

Seriously someone needs to figure this out.:hitler:
    Last edited by Car Addict; 09-22-2011, 11:16 PM.
    sigpic

New oil-pressure'bypass-valve hooptie?

I know I've seen a few people mention it before...I'll bet M42's are just noisy though.

Comment

Originally posted by Eecen View Post
      New oil-pressure'bypass-valve hooptie?

I know I've seen a few people mention it before...I'll bet M42's are just noisy though.
      x2,if you want quiet get your self a hippy car.

Comment

I also have an m20 which has the normal valve train tick which is more than quiet for me trust me there is no way this came from the factory this way
        sigpic

Comment

What weight of oil are you using?
          Originally posted by Good & Tight
          It takes real man to mount a big woman, all you haters are just scared boys.

Comment

Did you install the updated oil pressure relief valve?
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

upload a video

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Maybe use a thinner oil? Did you soke the lifters in oil over night before installing? Not that it should be much of a problem, as the system pressureizes it will fill up anyways.

Even though it is to late now if anyone is replacing there lifters use the VW ones they are lighter and only $144 for the 16. I can't remember where to get them from now but ill try and find out and report back.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                  Did you install the updated oil pressure relief valve?
                  The what now? Aka that would be a no I have not. Post a link
                  sigpic

Comment

He might be thinking of the updated timing chain tensioner. My car quieted down after putting in one of those.

John
                    The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

No, it's an oil pressure relief valve that was updated. It goes in the bottom of the timing case. The original one stuck sometimes and caused low oil pressure.
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Late bump but i figured out the issue finally. granted it was back in 2013 but better late then never.

The upper oil pan had a tiny section missing near the oil pickup causing the engine to suck up air instead of oil once the oil thinned out from being heated up.

So if you are experiencing what i was check the UPPER oil pan Gasket. FYI it can be a bit tricky getting in and out with the engine still in the car.
                        sigpic

Comment

You, sir, win the 'most belated followup award' from R3v.

Wear it with honor and distinction.

(no, I have no idea what it actually is).

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

^Thank you and I shall
                            sigpic

Comment

You deposited coins in the karma piggy bank. Good on you.

Comment

Working...
                              X