Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is putting 92 in your car good for our small engines or bad I've heard both
    Transaction Feedback: -click here
    [e30: '91 318is coupe|brilliantrot||e36: '98 318ti|fern green|California top|M-Tech]
    [URL="http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300453"]

Comment

You mean octane right? No, its not bad for it.

Comment

last i checked you should be putting premium in it. i guess 92 is the highest in your area
        DENY IGNORANCE!
        Schwarz 325-totaled
        brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
        don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
          How much endplay is OK? I have enough to hear a click from the crankshaft when I pull and push on it. The engine is completely stripped to the rotating assembly. I know an M50 thrush bearing is a good idea but damn, I just bought every single gasket and seal new and just wanted to reseal the damn thing and swap it in.
          If you can feel and hear it, it's a boat anchor. You'll need a new crank and a new bearing set. The new ones come with a 360 thrust bearing.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

FML. Thanks for the clarification, Ken.
            For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
            Originally posted by mbonanni
            I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

ken - Is it as simple as swapping a crankshaft or would that be a whole bottom end rebuild?
              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                ken - Is it as simple as swapping a crankshaft or would that be a whole bottom end rebuild?
                New crank would mean new bearings for the crank journals and new rod bearings as well as new main and rod bolts if you care at all about the rebuild you're doing.
                I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Thanks Roy - That's what I have planned on doing. Being my first time and all then I think it is always good to ask. KenC typically has some solid advice.
                  Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Didnt want to start a thread on this, but I installed a pair of Silences solid trans mounts on my car....

Absolutely undriveable on the street. NVH is hilariously retarded. You have to basically yell at you passenger to hear each other, and my car was fairly quiet before I installed these.

However, they did firm up the drivetrain a good amount, and shifts feel nice. I'll save them for when the car becomes a dedicated track car.

-NICK

Comment

I have them for my soon to be M50 swap. I've driven rough/stiff/solid mount cars before, I'm hoping these will be OK...

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Here's one for all of you M42 lovers. I experienced a highly unusual set of occurrences when installing a replacement cylinder head; one, the cam lobes at the front of the engine were pointing up at each other, cam squares were locked at the rear, TDC 1 double checked with simple screwdriver method; 2 cam sprocket bolts centered in slide slots; three, vibration dampener off 4 (or was it 6 I cannot recall) teeth!!!, even removed dampener to make sure keyway was still intact; four, flywheel locked at TDC 1; five, turned engine over many times by hand, pulled out hair, cursed repeatedly, buttoned engine up and turned it over with fingers crossed and bated breath; six, engine ran fine and has plenty of power; seven, shut car off, said "Oh well," left it alone. My assumption is that somehow the the flywheel is misaligned and that there is an issue with the alignment of the block arrow and the dampener. The car has been running fine for thousands of miles like this BTW. So, am I lucky, stupid or do I just have a weird car?

Comment

how can a flywheel be misaligned?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                          Ig:ryno_pzk
                          I like the tuna here.
                          Originally posted by lambo
                          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Maybe it's the wrong FW, maybe any number of possibilities, I have no answers to the above. But if you do feel free to write them on the back of a $100 bill and email it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brilliantrot 318is View Post
                              Is putting 92 in your car good for our small engines or bad I've heard both
                              93 here run strong, I've tried 88 octane which made my car run boo boo.

Comment

Working...
                              X