No announcement yet.

Mess under the intake? Read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got the smallest size I saw at kragen, I think it was like $0.49 for the foot.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

its a little harder to find it here in germany for some reason all the auto parts stores do not carry vac lines, just heater hose, no fuel lines either ive tried like 5 or 6 different ones, pelican and turner are life savers!

Comment

so update just did it yesterday like stated earlier and its about 100 degrees today and im puking coolant from under the manifold, 1. i put too much coolant in yesterday could that be why its puking out, and 2. i am fairly certain i tightened the crap out of all the coolant lines.. im at a loss its so effing hot and i dont wanna pull the intake again, i drove about 50 miles since the i did the work.. car runs fine just leaking coolant all over the block

Comment

gotta be that plastic junction pipe...did you change it during this process?
          1991 318is ---230K - DD
          1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
          so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

it was the hose i used from the pipe to the block it was too old and just ripped i plan on replacing it today after work i got a hose from some german hydro shop its good up 58 bar and 110 degrees C. so hopefully it works they were nice and gave it to me for free

Comment

any benefit to this?
              "I wanna see da boat movie"
              "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
                any benefit to this?
                It is to eliminate all the extra failure points, and possible leaks in nearly inacessible locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
                  any benefit to this?
                  If you take it apart to fix the vacuum leaks, you'll soon realize that it's all but impossible to put it back together the way that they did it originally.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                  2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

^^ dude your comment is a little rediculous. NO its not next to impossible to replace everything back to stock. I did it and I dont consider myself a expert mechanic. only benefit I see is ease of maintenance and possibly cheaper to not have to replace all hoses. Otherwise theres no difference
                    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Can anyone post the coolant / vacuum hose sizes needed? Would be super helpful. Ordering the rest of the parts tonight.

Comment

3 ft of 19/32 vacumn hose
                        1ft 5/8 heater hose (to make the bypass form the plastic junction to head)
                        3ft 5/16 fuel injection hose

Thats what I used. You'll need more heater hose if eplacing lines to the heater core.
                        sigpic

Comment

Your the man, saved me a trip :-)

Comment

Just did this last night. Used some parts from a Miata PCV system to make the bypass from the plastic junction to the head, 1/2" heater hose from the valve cover to the throttle body, and 5/8" heater hose from the ICV to the intake.

This should be stickied.
                            1991 318i SOLD
                            2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
                              ^^ dude your comment is a little rediculous. NO its not next to impossible to replace everything back to stock. I did it and I dont consider myself a expert mechanic. only benefit I see is ease of maintenance and possibly cheaper to not have to replace all hoses. Otherwise theres no difference
                              I agree with this 100%. While it may be cheaper to driveway engineer a simplification of everything with shit you found at Home Depot, the stock setup is easy to replace and really not that messy once you've revamped it and know what you're looking at.

Also, the notion that stuff under the intake is 'inaccessible' on an m42 seems odd to me. It's probably the easiest intake manifold I've ever removed.
                              Last edited by Ryann; 11-08-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Then why do most people, even people like Simon S, use this method? It's not because they're too lazy/unskilled, I can tell you that much.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X