No announcement yet.

Mess under the intake? Read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, it's because I've got massive meathooks, not dainty little girl hands. I can't reach in there to reattach the coolant lines, so out they came.
    1991 318i SOLD
    2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
      Then why do most people, even people like Simon S, use this method? It's not because they're too lazy/unskilled, I can tell you that much.
      Because bandwagon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann
        Because bandwagon.
        Hey hey.. I did it for three reasons:
        1. Heater plate is not necessary
        2. Thirteen eliminated junction points
        3. I like shit simple

All parts I used were OE with exception of some hoses.

Originally posted by MattBimmer
        Where do fuel lines come into play?
        There are two, short sections of fuel line that are cheap and easy to replace “while you’re in there”. If they haven’t been replaced by now, then they are old with countless heat/cold cycles on them per engine proximity. To not replace them is an invitation to engine fire.

With the seafoam if I disconnect the vacuum hose to the brake booster and apply seafoam there will that work?
        You’ll want to use the skinny vacuum hose that runs from the throttle body to the fuel pressure regulator.

The brake booster vacuum hose line is only open to one runner – for one cylinder.

And its 1/3 in the intake 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the gas right?
        Originally posted by Vivek
        I have no clue but would also like to know.
        The formula is what you choose. Via intake is theoretically best for compression chambers and valve seats. Via oil is meant as a flush (change it out with fresh oil w/in ~200 miles). Via gas is meant to keep fuel tank, pump, lines, and injectors clean/dry/water-free to my understanding.

Fwiw, I ran two whole cans through the intake using 1/3-can intervals. This was done just prior to pulling the head for inspection. It wasn’t like the chambers and piston-tops were magically clean. They had plenty of soot on them..
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
          Hey hey.. I did it for three reasons..
          I know, man. Everything you've done to your car has been done impeccably.

I first read about 'the mess' on m42 club and actually removed my manifolds with every intention of following suit. Once I laid eyes on mine and saw what minor vacuum leakage issues it actually had I decided to delete the TB heater, replace all the air hoses, and call it good.

People make it sound like TMUTI is some kind of mandatory m42 procedure.. I'm sure on some clapped out neglected cars it's a leaky nightmare under there. I must point out though that I maintain a 270k+ '91 318i with all the original 'mess' and it's just now beginning to develope some vac leaks at the 4-way fittings, still with no coolant leaks.

Comment

Although I must say, unless you've ever worked on an RX7, you haven't seen a TRUE "mess under the intake."

Commonly known as "the rat's nest."
            1991 318i SOLD
            2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

sweet jesus !!
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by unevolved View Post
                Although I must say, unless you've ever worked on an RX7, you haven't seen a TRUE "mess under the intake."

FD3S RX-7? No bueno... I don't recall my FC turbo being nearly as bad.
                1987 Toyota MR2: 20v blacktop screamer
                sigpic
                2013 Subaru BRZ: the new hotness
                1991 318is Alpine White: sold
                1989 325i Alpine White: sold

Comment

Hey guys Im having serious issues with my 91' 318is, Ive done over 50 cumulative hours of research over the last couple weeks and just cant figure it out. Here is the link to my post on m42 club, it seems to be dead there not to many people on that board. If you guys could please take a look and see if you have any idea. Its actually my dads car and ive been trying to diagnose it and fix the issue. Thanks so much in advance, really appreciate it!

sigpic

Check out my build thread!! :p

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=288383

Comment

Originally posted by unevolved View Post

LOL! I used to have a couple of FC's...I've delt with it and it made me want to punch a small child in the throat.

Because of that, I'll be doing this to my 318.

Could someone possibly change the blue and purple colors? They blend to me and I can't differentiate them.
                    1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
                      LOL! I used to have a couple of FC's...I've delt with it and it made me want to punch a small child in the throat.

Because of that, I'll be doing this to my 318.

Could someone possibly change the blue and purple colors? They blend to me and I can't differentiate them.
                      I will get on the color change as soon as I can. Pardon the color issues, initially it was only intended for personal reference. FYI the purple lines only exist between the water pipe and red U/vac hose combo and the heater plates to cylinder head (where the teal line is).

Comment

No worries, I wasn't trying to point fingers...I just don't want to route anything wrong or remove something that needs to stay.

Comment

Another question, is it necessary to split the lower and upper parts of the manifold, or can I remove the whole thing as one?

Only reason I ask, is because I only ordered the gasket between the lower manifold and the motor.

Comment

I believe so. I didn't see an easy way to remove the lower half with the upper still attached.
                            1991 318i SOLD
                            2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
                              Another question, is it necessary to split the lower and upper parts of the manifold, or can I remove the whole thing as one?

Only reason I ask, is because I only ordered the gasket between the lower manifold and the motor.
                              Yep, splitting is a must. Start with taking the TB off, remove the lines for the heater plates (cut them if deleting the plates, but not if you live in CA, you might want to keep them), and then take off the upper manifold to get to the lower.

Don't worry, I didn't take the diagram question as a criticism. But I will get around to editing it so as not make life confusing.

Comment

Split the upper and lower.

You may find as I have that the gasket remains in excellent shape after removing several times. I reassemble with light coat of wheel bearing grease, No issues or vacuum leaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X