Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New timing components?!

I just checked under my valve cover.
    Along with 3 stripped bolts (causing a vacuum leak) I feel like my timing components need to be refreshed.
    RUFFLZ said that if this is too pointy and not squared off I will need a new timing chain, tensioner sprockets etc.

If my valve cover thread is messed can I get those bolts in one size up?! Bc I'm planning on retouching up thread but not recoiling it.

How sharp will this component will need to be before replacing the timing system?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359843794.981601.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	7231168
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359843806.848327.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	7231169

I'm not hearing much noise from the timing chain, none at all. I will run some test to see if I hear a rattle.
    But I was told if you feel the teeth and they are pointy, most likely you should replace the timing chain, along with everything else?

Any one have knowledge on this? or another thread?

Comment

You appear to be at the upper limits of wear on the cam gears at the very least. If I were you this would be a good time to drop the lower pan and have a root round for bits of plastic. If you see nothing there and are inclined to you might proceed to removing the upper chain cover to have a better look at your guides.

As far as chain rattle the general rule is when you hear it something is being damaged and probably grinding bits of aluminum/plastic into your oil for your engine to eat. My $.02, if you have the funds, replace all of the timing components, if not just keep a close eye/ear on it.

Comment

Dam those are some pointy ass gears.....I have some for sale 45 shipped....time to overhaul the timing bits
        Originally posted by bmwm42
        PNW vulture pm me for parts
        Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

I have the funds. Someone point me in the right direction. Blunttech sent me a link for all timing components for about $250 does this sound right. Includes rails, the tensioner and all. Will I be able to do this myself or will I need special tools? Someone help! lol

Comment

Originally posted by salvuhdor View Post
            I have the funds. Someone point me in the right direction. Blunttech sent me a link for all timing components for about $250 does this sound right. Includes rails, the tensioner and all. Will I be able to do this myself or will I need special tools? Someone help! lol
            This was just covered in this very subforum. $250 sounds rather low, but who knows, you don't need special tools, just some creative thinking for the cam squares/flywheel lock.

Comment

$250 sounds about right for the 4 rails and a chain. From previous experience with Bluntech, that price might also include the m44 tensioner.
              what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

Maybe $250 for the rails and chain, but you need the upper sprockets, deflection gear and crank sprocket in all likelihood if your uppers are that worn.

Comment

Does this sound about right?

TIMING CHAIN
                  $50.70

SPROCKET
                  $59.33

GUIDE RAIL
                  $61.66

Guide
                  $10.10

CHAIN TENSIONER
                  $110.88

Circlip
                  $0.22

CHAIN TENSIONER
                  $41.20

Gasket ring
                  A22X27-AL
                  $0.36

Slide rail
                  $21.22

Comment

The chain tensioner should be like 40ish
                    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
                      The chain tensioner should be like 40ish

Yeah I noticed that there are two listed. One for 40 and another for 110. Blunttech has not replied yet.

Comment

The representative said that the tensioner is O.E from BMW.

Comment

M42 engine requires two chain tensioners?

Comment

Nope just one the m44 has a second tensioner instead of a idle gear
                            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

There are two of them.

Thinking hard on which parts to order. I'm mainly thinking sprockets, timing chain, the guide, slide rail..and then confused on the tensioner?!

Comment

Working...
                              X