No announcement yet.

New timing components?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive reused the crankbolt many times no issues and my engine had over 400k before i pulled it and was still great just was starting to have issues with oil pressure because of the pump
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Where did you read the bolt is torque to yield and needs replacement? Further, almost no one ends up torquing it properly as it's not easy to lock the crank solidly other than via the FW.

Page 117-6 in the e36 Bentley. 244 ft/lbs.
      What's another $10 for a bolt that should be replaced when you are dropping 7 bills for all new timing components.

You can properly hold the crank with a crank holding tool and renting a 250# torque wrench to properly torque the bolt.
      what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

Okay guys thanks I think I might as well go with the genuine BMW timing chain. I have all replacement gaskets already and will buy the crankshaft bolt since its not that expensive even if I might not need to replace it.

My car is definitely within spec, I'd would bet my life on it...

So this oil pressure relief valve you guys are talking about. Should I look for it at the pelican site? Whats the purpose of this part?

Comment

Originally posted by salvuhdor View Post
          Okay guys thanks I think I might as well go with the genuine BMW timing chain. I have all replacement gaskets already and will buy the crankshaft bolt since its not that expensive even if I might not need to replace it.

My car is definitely within spec, I'd would bet my life on it...

So this oil pressure relief valve you guys are talking about. Should I look for it at the pelican site? Whats the purpose of this part?
          I really don't think you need to go with a BMW branded part for the chain for 3x the going rate for a good chain. Looked it up, I purchased an Iwisketten chain for $53 and it is still just fine. After all, it is a double row chain and is probably the least failure prone part of the whole system

I wouldn't bet it was still within spec after 50k-75k miles. Still, it's not a huge deal if it is or not.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...mp_with_drive/ #s 5-8 is the whole thing, the part number might not be the updated one so look around a bit.

Comment

Iwis is oem supplier fyi
            Originally posted by bmwm42
            PNW vulture pm me for parts
            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

I am not looking forward to doing this on my car... When I bought it, I couldn't hear the timing chain making noise because it had no exhaust from the cat back. Now that it's together and running I can hear it loud and clear! The tensioner was replaced about 7yrs ago, but I don't think they did anything else.

Is the process pretty straightforward - put the engine at TDC, lock the cams in place, break loose all the timing components, remove and re-assemble with new components? I've only ever done timing belts before.

It looks like that pressure relief valve is located inside the oil pump assembly, or am I looking at the diagram wrong? I need a Bentley manual...
              1987 Toyota MR2: 20v blacktop screamer
              sigpic
              2013 Subaru BRZ: the new hotness
              1991 318is Alpine White: sold
              1989 325i Alpine White: sold

Comment

Originally posted by MazterDizazter View Post
                I am not looking forward to doing this on my car... When I bought it, I couldn't hear the timing chain making noise because it had no exhaust from the cat back. Now that it's together and running I can hear it loud and clear! The tensioner was replaced about 7yrs ago, but I don't think they did anything else.

Is the process pretty straightforward - put the engine at TDC, lock the cams in place, break loose all the timing components, remove and re-assemble with new components? I've only ever done timing belts before.

It looks like that pressure relief valve is located inside the oil pump assembly, or am I looking at the diagram wrong? I need a Bentley manual...
                That sounds about right.
                I am currently doing this to my car, its up on jacks right now and my cam locking tool w/ flywheel lock just came in so I will be finishing this project soon. (I can ship it to you if you want to rent it)

If you get a bentley manual and working on you 91 318is engine get an e36 manual from years 1992+ because that m42 engine is not covered in the other e30 service manuals.
                Its pretty straight forward, I'd recommend doing the thermostat and waterpump with according gaskets if you need to.

Comment

Thanks - where'd you get the tool and how much was it? I did the thermostat, water pump and timing gaskets already. Part of the reason why I'm not looking forward to diving in there again, lol
                  1987 Toyota MR2: 20v blacktop screamer
                  sigpic
                  2013 Subaru BRZ: the new hotness
                  1991 318is Alpine White: sold
                  1989 325i Alpine White: sold

Comment

It's not too bad, if a 17 year old punk with no prior experience working on cars could do it, then you shouldn't sweat it. Research is key. http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/318istimingchain.html This is a great write-up.
                    Last edited by Tisoc; 04-16-2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks - where'd you get the tool and how much was it? I did the thermostat, water pump and timing gaskets already. Part of the reason why I'm not looking forward to diving in there again, lol

The cam locking tool cost me a little over $100 shipped. I will rent it out for $20/ a week

Comment

Working...
                      X