Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whoever figures this out...100 bucks paypalled to them..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whoever figures this out...100 bucks paypalled to them..

So i swapped in a replacement m42 into my 91 318is. Kept the existing harness and DME from the old m42. changed a bunch of stuff, h20 pump, timing tensioner piston, VCG, upper oil pan bolts, lower oil pan bolts, did the intake mess blah blah.

anyway, so the car cranks, and barely starts for a split second then dies

sounds like air is escaping from SOMEWHERE, and there is a huge BOOM and rattle from the airbox.

we have diagnosed this:
    -getting fuel
    -getting spark
    -working AFM
    -working fuel pump
    -fuel lines are CORRECT
    -swapped in 2 different CLEAN ICVs

whoever can diagnose, or even come to my house (san jose, ca) and figure this out. i will personally paypal them 100 bucks...

im desperate people

thanks!

If it sounds like air is escaping from somewhere the second it turns off, then it probably is.
    Make sure your intake boot is proper and your vacuum lines under and around it are connected.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

checked all the vac lines! to my knowledge, i think they are correct... really wish i got a veteran m42 guy over to my house to see!

Comment

Loose spark plugs
        Originally posted by bmwm42
        PNW vulture pm me for parts
        Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Nope^ they are snug

Comment

I have this friday off I'll come double check all your vac lines for you.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Intake gaskets changed not seated correctly equals your problem
              Originally posted by bmwm42
              PNW vulture pm me for parts
              Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

IDK but sometimes when you buy a new boot some have an extra hole in them. mine did check to see if you do and plug it up if it dose. other wise as mentioned before intake gaskets.

Oh and I believe the is a plug in the air box check to see if that is still in place.
                sigpic

Comment

is the crank position sensor plugged in??

Comment

post a video
                    87 'vert~~~~~~~89 s50~~~~~~~~~91 318i~~~~~~~~87 s50~~~~~~~~~R.I.P. '91 318i

I Need used SIR tools

Comment

Timing, use some soapy water in a spray bottle, to seek out air leaks.

Comment

Did you plop in a whole, known-running M42?

Did you manually align the timing of the crank & cams? The big BOOM in the air box makes me think that you could have the crank phased 180 degrees off from the cams and the engine is basically pumping air "the wrong way."

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                          Did you plop in a whole, known-running M42?

Did you manually align the timing of the crank & cams? The big BOOM in the air box makes me think that you could have the crank phased 180 degrees off from the cams and the engine is basically pumping air "the wrong way."
                          This^

If your timing is off 180 the car will sound like it wants to start, but really your valves are open and closed at the wrong time. You are going to be getting combustion in your intake manifold. The car is igniting the fuel/air and dumping the "exhaust"/ igniting when your intake valves are open. I have done this before on a car BIG dumb moment to say the least.

Go through and check all your timing components and settings.

Comment

I had a very similar issue on an M42 a few months back. One of the vacuum hoses came unplugged on the left side of the throttle body (I think it went from the throttle body to under the intake somewhere, it was on the left side of TB) and caused the car to keep stalling out and falling on its face. Eventually figured it out, but did waste a lot of time checking everything else! My money is set on some sort of a vacuum leak.

Just for fun, I would also manually check timing. You never know what someone else's handiwork can do...

GL
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

So it was a full running m42. I know it ran before. How should i go about checking the timing components without actually ripping her open?

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X