Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! m42 dumping fuel out the exhaust!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! m42 dumping fuel out the exhaust!!

I just purchased a 1991 318i, 172,XXX miles, recent head gasket and new water pump. I drove the car home last night (90 mile trip) and it ran like a top. My dad went to start it this morning and it wouldn't. After I got off work I started messing with it. We could smell fuel so we started looking at spark related issues. Cylinders 2 and 4 had very light spark, cylinder 3 appeared to have no spark, and cylinder one had great spark.
    I did the following:
    -checked resistance at crank sensor(498 ohms)
    -switched out the main relay for another
    -swapped out the coil packs with known working ones
    -unplugged ecu, cleaned plug, and plugged back in

-Also tried testing resistance across the fuel rail plug at the back of the motor. Hope that didn't mess something up???

After all that, we finally got it to fire up, but then noticed it smelled of gas horribly. Come to find a large puddle of gas under the car which appears to be coming out of the exhaust. The car does run but it has a slight surge and pours fuel out the exhaust. Also, all spark plugs are dry...

What the hell is going on here!?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by tfritz; 04-11-2013, 03:15 PM.

It seems super unlikely that liquid gas could be coming out of the exhaust. Where about is it dripping from? Front of the car, rear, middle?

If it is near the rear, then you probably have a blown fuel line (hard or soft).

If it is near the front, then it is probably one of the soft lines going to the fuel rail, or MAYBE an injector O-ring. Even if an injector got stuck open, you wouldn't see liquid fuel running out of the exhaust.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

definitely liquid fuel out of the tail pipe. Right now im thinking stuck injectors.

Comment

This is really just baffling me.......

Comment

My guess is your fuel tank is leaking on top of the exhaust system. To get get liquid gas form the engine to the tip of the muffler seems odd unless you have pump that is very very strong, FPR that does not lower the pressure and an injector or two stuck really open and then the hot exhaust is not burning any fuel. When you have big back fires, there is fuel in the exhaust but it blows out by the time it hits the tip, not spills out.
          Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
          BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
            My guess is your fuel tank is leaking on top of the exhaust system. To get get liquid gas form the engine to the tip of the muffler seems odd unless you have pump that is very very strong, FPR that does not lower the pressure and an injector or two stuck really open and then the hot exhaust is not burning any fuel. When you have big back fires, there is fuel in the exhaust but it blows out by the time it hits the tip, not spills out.
            +1

Sounds like a leaky tank or fuel line.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Im going to double check that here in a little bit. The leaking spot is a good foot back from the tank though, and there was also a small puddle of gas under the exhaust flange under the car.

As of now I am soaking the injectors and am going to swap out the ecu.

Comment

Working...
              X