Compression results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression results

I was having a weird hissing noise coming from the head, seemed to be by the exhaust port. So i decided to do a compression test yesterday. My results were.

1 - 185
    2 - 183
    3 - 189
    4 - 75

So some feedback from you fellow r3ver's what it might be. 245k miles, car gets about 20-24 mpg. Starts within 3 cranks every time in the morning. No smoke when starting. I go through about 1/4 quart of oil about every 2 months. If i WOT the car runs rich with a little black smoke at 6k up. Also the coolant looks good, goes up to 3/8 then back down to 1/4 when cooling down. So im thinking the rings but it doesn't seem like it. I have a spare engine i've been working on but i've been taking my time cause of my previous m20 failure i had 2 years back. So i really dont want to replace just yet.

TDLR

1. Rings
    2. Valves
    3. Head gasket

-brandin
    Last edited by Bmr; 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM. Reason: Spell check

a leakdown test will tell you more. Do one on cyl 4 and report back

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
      a leak down test will tell you more. Do one on cyl 4 and report back
      Great idea, was considering after the compression test. If i can this weekend i'll definitely report back my findings with a update.

Comment

Weird. With those compression numbers it sounds like your car runs way too well for there to be anything major going on. Is the hissing noise that you hear constant, or does it sound like it is pulsing (such as a HG leak between #4 and the atmosphere that miraculously has not affected coolant passages)?

The M42 does seem to run a bit rich and black smoke when at WOT isn't uncommon.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
          Weird. With those compression numbers it sounds like your car runs way too well for there to be anything major going on. Is the hissing noise that you hear constant, or does it sound like it is pulsing (such as a HG leak between #4 and the atmosphere that miraculously has not affected coolant passages)?

The M42 does seem to run a bit rich and black smoke when at WOT isn't uncommon.
          Ill try to explain best in words, wap chu wap chu.....i would say pusling could be it, does not get louder or quieter. At fist i thought it was a exhaust leak, being that the header is common to do that at high mileage. I guess i could test by putting some liquid by #4 to see if air comes out?

Comment

Burnt valve. It has a nice size hole.
            Pistons look like crap also.
            Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

if op needs valves for cheap pm me.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Looks like damage from detonation, Bad gas? You run 91 or higher, always?

Comment

Bummer, but that's better than a cracked head for sure.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

good opportunity to upgrade to the e36 valves and some VW lifters, on the bright side...
                    past:
                    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:
                    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Engine has about 270k. I havr no idea if the PO put 91 in. I have another block/head just need to get main bearings/rod bearings and new rings.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Working...
                      X