Loud screeching noise= flywheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud screeching noise= flywheel?

So i've had this loud intermittent screeching noise for the last year or so.
    it comes usually on start up, and gets louder/comes with when revving the car.
    what could this be? i'm starting to get it now upon take off from stops now as well.

it's funky.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Belts?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Water pump, alternator, PS pump or AC comp bearings?

Comment

Pull each Belt off until the screech goes. Once I goes inspect all pullies for excessive wear. Look for score marks on timing covers or close areas. Not sure if this applies to the e30 but inspect to make sure your not adding or missing washers

Comment

Could be belts, unless...
          Does the noise have a "metallic" tone to it? And mostly happens when you actually work the starter?
          If "yes", to both, then this is your trater soleinoid scratching the flywheel.

Comment

Because you said flywheel im going to assume you think its coming from the back of the engine. Could be your pilot or throw out bearing going bad.

The Build:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Check the belts. I had the same problem with my M42. Tightened up the alternator and it went away.

Comment

All my belts were loose, but just tightened them yesterday and my screeching is gone,

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

great. What's the rule of thumb to tell if they are tight enough? When tight, how much if any rotation can you get from twisting the belt at it loosest spot?

Comment

Originally posted by UpOn3 View Post
                    great. What's the rule of thumb to tell if they are tight enough? When tight, how much if any rotation can you get from twisting the belt at it loosest spot?
                    There is actually a measurement tool for it. You adjust a device to click when a certain amount of pressure is applied. You can sometimes find the number on Mitchell's.

Try spraying water on the belt to see if the noise goes away temporarily.

Comment

Rule of thumb is you should be able to turn the belt 90ยบ by hand, but no further. I.E. - Grab the belt between two pulleys and rotate it as far as you can. Shouldn't turn more than a 1/4 tun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                        Belts?
                        Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
                        Water pump, alternator, PS pump or AC comp bearings?
                        Originally posted by Kozworth View Post
                        Pull each Belt off until the screech goes. Once I goes inspect all pullies for excessive wear. Look for score marks on timing covers or close areas. Not sure if this applies to the e30 but inspect to make sure your not adding or missing washers
                        Originally posted by mr ilia View Post
                        Could be belts, unless...
                        Does the noise have a "metallic" tone to it? And mostly happens when you actually work the starter?
                        If "yes", to both, then this is your trater soleinoid scratching the flywheel.
                        Originally posted by Beemerdan View Post
                        Check the belts. I had the same problem with my M42. Tightened up the alternator and it went away.
                        Bet it's belts....

Comment

Working...
                        X