318iC annoying tick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318iC annoying tick

Whenever I start my car my engine will tick for about 7-10 seconds then stops. After driving a few miles it will tick even louder and ticking speed matches with my rpms. It also stops ticking randomly and comes back. I know m42's have self adjusting valves or what not but any ideas??
    1991 Convertible (The BathTub)

Ticking if frequently associated with a timing chain tensioner (an oil pressurized piston with a spring, very similar to a valve lifter in function) failure. Not saying it can't be lifters or an oil pressure issue, but neither of those is as likely.

Essentially, if you have not replaced the tensioner you might want to do so now. All you need to do is remove the 19mm cap on the passenger side of the timing cover and install the new one. Of course there is conflict as to methodology of installation, some say install compressed (as the manual says) and rev the engine for ~30s to extend it, others say install it extended. Take your pick, either will get the job done.

Comment

I've replaced my tensioner, and my timing chain and gears looked fine when I looked at them, but I experience a ticking/clicking noise. Any thoughts? I'm using Shell Rotella 5w40 oil.

Comment

go up in oil weight.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Oil pump is shit
          Originally posted by bmwm42
          PNW vulture pm me for parts
          Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

or there's a leak in your oil filter housing somewhere that's allowing oil to leak down.

It only takes a small air bubble to make a lifter (technically, lash adjuster) sound like hell.

Over or underfilling the oil can do it too. ANY way that air gets in, it seems to find its
            way into the lash adjusters...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
              go up in oil weight.
              DENY IGNORANCE!
              Schwarz 325-totaled
              brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
              don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

What oil? Recommendations are all over the place. I've heard 5w40, 10w40, 15w50, 20w50.

I have an oil change coming up, would 10w40 be good?

Comment

10w40 pr 15w40should be fine. Most weights lower will tick after you put them through a fewcycles. A little tick at startup isn't bad but should go away pretty quickly once the oil pressure is up. Talking seconds here
                  DENY IGNORANCE!
                  Schwarz 325-totaled
                  brilliantrot 318i-daily

don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

i use 15-50 and works great in va

Comment

I recommend Castrol GTX part synthetic 10w40. I had lifter tick before and now at most times 0 noise.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

I'm thinking 10w40 would be good for MD winter... 20-30 degrees or less sometimes. Right now I might switch to 15w50 because it's around 85 degrees.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

I use Mobil 10w40 almost year round and 15w40 when i can find it. They only sell it across town and I'm in Florida. Full synthetic also and no noise. 90's everyday but it also depends on the condition of your engine
                          DENY IGNORANCE!
                          Schwarz 325-totaled
                          brilliantrot 318i-daily

Comment

Working...
                          X