Low water Temp readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low water Temp readings

I got this car not long ago and notice that the temp never goes past 1/4 mark. I think this may be due to a low temp thermostat or one that is stuck open.

Is there any reason to have a low temp thermostat?

Is it a bad thing to run it a little cooler or have the coolant constantly circulating through the head? Is it better for performance and worse for fuel economy?

TIA

It's probably a stuck thermostat.

Low temps may equal more power, but that would also give you bad mileage.

Essentially, it seems to be new thermostat time.

Comment

either that or its a drilled t stat, or none at all.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I have had this same problem since I got the car over a year and a half ago. It creeps up to half sometimes as I sit in traffic and its 85+ outside. It normally hovers in the blue or just at 1/4. Have never had a problem other than it takes FOREVER to warm up in the winter. PO said he had just replaced the thermostat a week before he sold it to me. IDK never really bothered me.
        Last edited by duleymane///iS; 08-05-2013, 02:17 AM. Reason: Additional Info.

Comment

It's also possible that the thermostat is in backwards. However, I am not sure if that would cause it to function the way you describe.

Comment

I have changed the thermostat three times in my m42, running BMW coolant with water wetter and it barely gets to halfway between 1/4 and 1/2 while running. I don't have my aux fan connected yet and it creeps up to and sometimes past halfway when I'm idling or stuck in traffic for more than 5-10 minutes.
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Working...
            X