Got my M42 running on standalone (VEMS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my M42 running on standalone (VEMS)

Nothing too exciting, but I just wanted to show what the M42 sounds like without the AFM in the way. The video does not do it justice, but the intake is LOUD.

Still some minor tweaks to work out with the cold start, but overall the car runs really smooth and throttle response is so much better!

Here is the display:

Here is a pull on an onramp. Video sucks, just listen to the sound.
    The video itself sucks. I'm mainly showing the sound of an open intake (no AFM) when running speed density on a near factory motor.

I'm taking the car to get sniff tested this weekend and when its properly licensed I'll get some better videos with a friends go-pro.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Details.....how much did that cost you......I'm going turbo soon and need a stand alone system
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

I bought my system a few years ago so I can't even remember how much I paid. The US dealer site has pretty accurate info: http://www.vems.us/

If you are interested in going this route I could tell you what specs to order it in. I can also help get the base configuration set up :)

I used the factory M42 engine harness, cut the motronic connector off, and rewired it to the VEMS connector.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I'd love to know what VEMS set up you are using and how you got it all together and running.

Comment

Im using the version V3.6, which is virtually identical to the current version V3.7.

It took me a long time to get it up and running, but I also had a lot of other things going on so it was not a priority for me. Also info on the M42 is slim so I had to determine a lot of stuff myself which took time. Luckily I am more than willing to share that information :)

If anyone has a question I will be more than happy to answer it, I just don't know where to start!

I will say though that if you don't desire to learn about electronics and you are easily frusterated, this is probably not the best path. Getting a custom tune for Motronic from someone like Midnight Tuning is what I recommend for people who want more plug and play.

Also, I believe someone here makes a Megasquirt version that is plug and play if thats more your speed.
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

NICE! It sure sounds mean. I assume there's a cone filter on there, or is that mean sound coming from the stock airbox?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Right now there is no filter or airbox. A cone filter will be added shortly though, I just havent made that a priority. I think it will sound similar with the filter, the airbox and AFM suppress the sound in the stock system.
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Sweet.

I am actually in the Redmond/Bellevue area almost weekly for work. You down to grab a beer and show me this thing sometime? I am still sort of torn between VEMS and MSIII, especially now that MSIII has a proper MAF handling algorithm (alpha code, should be official implementation soon enough).

Comment

I would definitely be up for beer and BS. I would also like to see how it feels to you compared to your monster :)

A MAF is nice because you don't have to change the VE map with every change. Then again, it takes a few drives to dial in the VE map so its no biggie.

Both systems have their ups and downs, but are both good for the $$$. It all depends on what features you want.

Either way, I can sow you the VEMS software and show you all the gizmos. Nothing beats actually using something versus reading about it!
                  -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Cool, thanks! Yeah, definite analysis paralysis going on here...hard to choose between the two setups based on reading about them. VEMS has definite appeal with its built-in coil drivers and WBO2 controller. The onle concern, and i know it is silly, is that the hardware is getting old whereas MSIII is a lot newer and faster. Not that it really matters though, since both are worlds ahead of the M1.7 that run our engines now. So, it is win-win really.

Comment

I personally think VEMS should make a V4 board with faster processor, USB, ect. Then again, what is there now seems to do just fine on engines testing the ECU much more than I do!

IMO the downfall of MS is the hardware design. Im always reading about people having to tweak this or that on the board to get things to work correctly. I never read about that kind of BS on the VEMS board. Thats my main turnoff of MS, that and most of the circuits people add are just part of the standard VEMS system. I like how VEMS is one PCB. There are certain things done at the "factory" to get the trigger to be VR or Hall or have EGT for example, but its just soldering in the chip usually and leaves tested and proven.

I feel both the good and the bad of MS is you can build it yourself. For a few people thats a bonus, for most its just a disaster waiting to happen! I personally don't want to mess with that for incredibly minimal (if any) cost savings :)

Like you say about breaking down the Motronic Damos. Why spend that time when I could just use an ECU thats transparent and has so many more features! I am running my system open loop with no idle PID and its still better than Motronic!
                      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Feel like posting a screenshot of your timing map? that seems to be the number one piece of information missing about the M42 online, though I've not really paid much attention to the E30 world for the past year or so. I've got mine running great on MS2, but I'm always scared my timing is off a little with the turbo.

What was your reasoning for going standalone? Forced induction later on?

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Here is the timing map I am using right now:

Keep in mind its not dyno tuned so its just a "best guess" based on a lot of other maps I have looked at.

Here is also my friend Gunnars map for boosted cars:

Obviously, verify timing is accurate before you just plug someone else's timing map in!

Here are a few others:
                          Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

M50 maps can be used for reference as the engines are similar due to the same style cylinder head, similar bore, ect.

Yes, my original intent was to go FI and I will most likely go that route eventually. I'm just taking things one step at a time. I might just keep the car atmo for a while because Im still having a lot of fun with it.
                          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Here are some random project pictures:

Wiring harness in progress:

Yes, I actually rewired the whole car....but its not necessary.

VEMS board:

Intended use:
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Is your economy gauge functional now? As far as I can tell it just takes the injector PWM signal in as input, so as long as that part of the harness is still intact I'd assume that it works (although if the injector flow rate is different it'll be inaccurate).

Comment

Working...
                              X