Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone with a dynomax super turbo muffler??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone with a dynomax super turbo muffler??????

I just got a dynomax super turbo installed on my car...
    and it sounds extremely loud, like a fart can!!!! seriously..its just too
    deep and I can hear it inside the car...its annoying...first thing that came to my head was it was installed backwards?? muffler shop guy told me it didn't matter how was it was installed..
    so they installed it like this is this correct? or its backwards? I have heard a few m42s with this muffler and they don't sound loud as mine...I had to tip on it..i bought a 5 dollar one at the autoparts store and it made it a little quiet, barely noticeable though

Last edited by ///digitalme; 11-14-2013, 07:59 PM.

bump

Comment

i dont have any experience with that muffler but im pretty sure it has an inlet and outlet which means it should be installed one way only or else the baffles wont work properly

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I wanted to go Dynomax myself. Im always scared of this happening though. Hope you get it sorted out. Tuned in for answer.

Comment

My dynomax is super quiet, but I also have the stock resonator. What size is your piping?

-NICK

Comment

Do you both have sound clips for comparison?

Comment

the stock cat and resonator is going to make all the difference here. These parts of the system really quiet the car down. Op are you missing any of the stock system?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I have a dynomax on the rallycross car. It's not all that loud, and that car has no interior/soundproofing/carpeting. I have a cat and stock resonator though.
                Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop
                visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

How are all you guys muffler installed? Center out and offset tpwards the engine? I have the stock resonator and a magnaflow cat. The tip I added help quiet down the car ill get a sound clip.

Comment

Check the welds. I just got mine on a few weeks ago and the shop seriously welded only the bottom half of the inlet and the the tip. There are also holes on the weld. its super loud. just waiting for my buddy to weld it right for me. Mine is also aligned like yours
                    Last edited by Merlin8; 11-14-2013, 11:20 PM. Reason: wrong statement

Comment

I also have the same muffler and it's very quiet, actually quieter than I wanted it to be.

Comment

I have one. Mine is loud...however I don't have a resonator and there is a highflow cat in place of the stock.
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Not sure about the super turbo but I run a dynomax vt on my car and it has an inlet and an outlet. and big arrows pointing to the outlet. Did you look at the muffler before it was put on?

I think he may have it straight pipe to muffler. When i first got my 318 the entire exhaust was rusted to shit so i got a temporary autozone replacement. without a resonator it literally sounded like a 2 stroke motorcycle. cherry bomb fixed it but it still didnt sound great

Comment

My turbo car was stock-car loud until I put that cheapy 2.5" super-turbo muffler on the back in place of a loud the 3" magnaflow. That turbo muffler works just fine.

I had a universal cat in there where the stock one was, but what you really need to do is add a 2nd muffler or resonator there where the cat is instead. Since that muffler is ~$40 just get a 2nd one and put it in the middle.

i 2nd the idea for the dynomax vt valve thingy- there are some good reviews around the net although I worry about the valve sticking.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t-Muffler-EVER!!!

The idea would be the valve would close and up your back pressure at cruise/part throttle when it is droning the worst, which then forces the low energy sound through the baffles where it normally skips them and drones.

Comment

The regular dynomax muffler can be installed either way, its not a directional muffler like a baffled type.

My dynomax is pretty quiet and I have no sound proofing in the car!
                              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Working...
                              X