M42 COP kit install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 COP kit install

I bought a COP kit second hand, previous owner didn't send the instructions.

Seems like a simple install just hung up on one thing, the all-thread.

How are the nylon spacers supposed to go? On top of the nut, under the nut?

And how did you guys go about torquing it down so you don't get an oil leak?

Put the all thread in where the two center valve cover bolts were. Use the washer from the old bolt to put on top of the rubber grommet. Tighten a nut down on that to the correct torque spec to hold down the valve cover. Put the plastic spacer on the stud above the nut. Put the COP plate on top of the spacer. Add a washer and nut on top of the COP plate.

Hope that helps. If you have questions I can try to expand further :)
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
      Put the all thread in where the two center valve cover bolts were. Use the washer from the old bolt to put on top of the rubber grommet. Tighten a nut down on that to the correct torque spec to hold down the valve cover. Put the plastic spacer on the stud above the nut. Put the COP plate on top of the spacer. Add a washer and nut on top of the COP plate.

Hope that helps. If you have questions I can try to expand further :)

Huge thanks!

After taking a break for a bit this is exactly what I ended up doing.

Comment

Its always nice to verify you are thinking right!
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Its always nice to verify you are thinking right!
          Absolutely. The threads for the valve cover bolts strip so easy, last thing I want to do is have to deal with that.

Comment

I actually just finished drilling out all my valve cover threads and heli-coiling them for just that reason :)
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I actually just finished drilling out all my valve cover threads and heli-coiling them for just that reason :)
              Btw your vems m42 thread is going to be a lot of help for me. Looking to go that route soon. Slow because of funds. I have another m42 on an engine stand I plan on rebuilding, towards a turbo build.

Hoping to use vems on my engine just for testing and have the whole harness modification done before swapping in the rebuilt.

You have any info on possibly wiring in a knock sensor somehow? I know the last model m44 had one. Could be useful for tuning.

Comment

Working...
              X