M42 Oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Oil cooler

So Ive done a little bit of research on the topic but I really cant find any definitive answers. Looks like most people just run a IE oil cap. I'm on a budget though, and I'd rather not pay $250 for the cap.

Is there anyway to modify the oil filter housing to route oil through a cooler?

I saw this picture on another thread. Could I use this port to feed oil through the cooler and then into the sump?
    = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

If you did that, you would basically be using the cooler as a bypass for the rest of the engine. And then you would need a new engine. I have only ever seen oil coolers for the M42 use a custom cap, or a block that is installed between the filter housing and timing case.

Are you planning to do some hard track driving with the car, or run a beefy turbo? If not, I don't see why you would need an oil cooler.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Well then... that probably isn't a very good idea....

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
      Are you planning to do some hard track driving with the car, or run a beefy turbo? If not, I don't see why you would need an oil cooler.
      Yes. High rpm and Hard tracking in the southern heat. Cooling issues are the LAST thing I want to worry about. My previous car was a nightmare when it came to keeping cool during autocross sessions. ( typical e46 -_-). I wanted to over engineer the cooling system on this car.

I have seen a plate that goes in place of the oil filter housing that allows you to run an inline oil filter /oil cooler via lines and fittings. I'll post a picture of it when I get to a PC.

Comment

Whoever used to make these is no longer making them. I dont think it would be too too hard to make one on my own though.

Comment

I did a very similar thing for the M10 by silver- soldering fittings to a plate.

Worked fine. For a race car.

The thing, though, is that then you get to engineer the whole system-
          filter, cooler, plumbing, backflow valve(s) etc. And it's surprisingly tricky
          to get exactly right the first time.

Not that you shouldn't try, just that you probably will end up doing it more
          than once. So don't weld it all solid on the first go- round!

fwiw
          t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Why not make an interposer between the timing case and filter housing? Switch to an m44 oil filter housing and get an extra clean oil outlet to seal the interposer to the case, and then just route the dirty oil through the cooler before the filter.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I ended up going with a used cap and an m20 oil cooler. The m20 cooler should provide plenty of cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
                I ended up going with a used cap and an m20 oil cooler. The m20 cooler should provide plenty of cooling.
                pics please!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

They haven't come in the mail yet but when Ill be sure to post pics of the setup when its done. Should be a pretty straight forward and easy setup.

Comment

Working...
                  X