No announcement yet.

M42 running VERY loud (video), low oil pressure light is on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bump is embedded in the timing case. You gotta pull the TC to get at the pump. Sucks BALLS, I know. You had the timing case covers off a little while back, right? Take any pics?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Although bmwman didn't say it he meant that the rear (lower) timing case has to come off. I feel you probably know the basic procedure by now...

If you take all of that apart and still have no oil pressure I will be flabbergasted.

Comment

If the engine has run so much without oil pressure I think the cams and bearings should be checked before anymore work is done.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the oil pump in my engine when I took it apart for reference.
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
            The bump is embedded in the timing case. You gotta pull the TC to get at the pump. Sucks BALLS, I know. You had the timing case covers off a little while back, right? Take any pics?
            Nope I've never taken it apart.
            Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Although bmwman didn't say it he meant that the rear (lower) timing case has to come off. I feel you probably know the basic procedure by now...

If you take all of that apart and still have no oil pressure I will be flabbergasted.
            Does this involve removing the head/oil pan?
            Originally posted by e304me View Post
            If the engine has run so much without oil pressure I think the cams and bearings should be checked before anymore work is done.
            I'm kinda thinking this too. My dad offered to buy me a new engine (from a recycler, tested/guaranteed) which honestly may be the best route.

Wazzu, thanks for the pic. What's involved in getting that timing case off? Will I be pulling the head and the fucking oil pan again? If so, fuck this I'm buying another engine lol. Not worth my damn time for something that's been run dry for 2+ minutes and at 4-5k for a few seconds when my throttle cable was out of place.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

yeah another engine is probably the way to go.

Comment

You do not HAVE to pull the head to do the timing case, but it is probably easiest to do that. I've shimmied it back int place with the head still on there a few times and it sucks.

And yes, the oil pan needs to be unbolted from it.

Comment

Yeah, its major work to get to the oil pump.

Have you checked to see if there is oil in the valve cover area?

A new/verified engine may be the best route.
                  -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Well shit. The eBay seller who had an m42 listed with 5 available said he has none for an e30. So I suppose he might have had an m44 listed as an m42? It didn't have the intake mani on so I couldn't tell much from the pic.

Does anyone know where to get an engine that is tested and has a warranty? Preferably as close to the Bay Area as possible.

I could also try to fix my old engine...not quite sure what's wrong with that. But it's been sitting outside for months and I'm pretty sure has gotten water in at least one of the cylinders due to not having an intake manifold installed.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Well shit. The eBay seller who had an m42 listed with 5 available said he has none for an e30. So I suppose he might have had an m44 listed as an m42? It didn't have the intake mani on so I couldn't tell much from the pic.

Does anyone know where to get an engine that is tested and has a warranty? Preferably as close to the Bay Area as possible.

I could also try to fix my old engine...not quite sure what's wrong with that. But it's been sitting outside for months and I'm pretty sure has gotten water in at least one of the cylinders due to not having an intake manifold installed.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

toddness has a good M42
                        cars beep boop

Comment

m50 swap, keep it basic, and BAR it. best way to go. can even keep the getrag240 in place.
                          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                            m50 swap, keep it basic, and BAR it. best way to go. can even keep the getrag240 in place.
                            Still ~2500 bucks. I was about to look into it but apparently the 24v wiki is down. Anyone know what I'd need to get/do other than engine, e34 pan, e36 mount arms, wiring, ecu, exhaust, driveshaft?

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

No way $2500. I say you could do it for under $1k if you reuse your current flywheel->diff and just changing the motor with an m50.
                              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

This thread is taking an interesting turn. Might be for the best, too.

Vivek, I am local and if you want to try to tear into the timing case to see what might be up with the oil pump I can lend a hand sometime. I also made a crank locking tool for breaking that big ass crank damper bolt loose, and you are welcome to borrow it. Your engine might (MIGHT) still be OK since it has not run too much, and it's probably worth spending a couple more hours to see what exactly went wrong. Still, M50 for $1k is a pretty sweet sounding deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X