Reassembling my m42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reassembling my m42

This is my first time pulling the head on something, so I just want to be absolutely sure it's good to go when I turn the key.

I pulled the head with the cams installed, had the engine at TDC, tied off the chain onto the cam gears so they wouldn't move.
    -When I'm putting it back together how can I verify that everything is definitely in the right place?
    -I noticed there's a little play in where the cam gears can bolt back on, it's still got pretty clear marks where they go but do I need to be pretty careful with that or does it matter much?
    -What about making sure the timing chain didn't skip any gears somewhere along the way?
    -I probably won't bother with this, but I vaguely recall hearing about people advancing the timing as a mod, is this recommended(since I'm already in there and all)?

Aside from the timing, should I be using any kinds of sealants or anything on the gaskets(particularly HG)?

Any other tips?
    sigpic

As long as you did not turn the crank off TDC and left the cam lock tool on you should be fine. If you dont have the cam lock in place the valve springs will push up against the cam lobes and the timing will be off when you install the head.

The cam gear holes are slotted to you can adjust for chain stretch. You can adjust the intake a few degrees if you want, but you have to degree it. If you dont have the correct tools/knowledge to set that up, dont bother with it.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

There's a square on the rear of each cam. Lay a flat edge across from one cam to the other. Rotate the cams so that the flats are aligned with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by cferb View Post
        This is my first time pulling the head on something, so I just want to be absolutely sure it's good to go when I turn the key.

I pulled the head with the cams installed, had the engine at TDC, tied off the chain onto the cam gears so they wouldn't move.
        -When I'm putting it back together how can I verify that everything is definitely in the right place?
        -I noticed there's a little play in where the cam gears can bolt back on, it's still got pretty clear marks where they go but do I need to be pretty careful with that or does it matter much?
        -What about making sure the timing chain didn't skip any gears somewhere along the way?
        -I probably won't bother with this, but I vaguely recall hearing about people advancing the timing as a mod, is this recommended(since I'm already in there and all)?

Aside from the timing, should I be using any kinds of sealants or anything on the gaskets(particularly HG)?

Any other tips?
        I wouldn't mess with the advancing or retardation of the cams.
        You don't need any special sealant or anything BUT it's worth it to take the extra time and make sure all surfaces are completely clean before putting it together.(head, profile gasket mainly)

don't worry about keeping the timing on the head perfect if you don't have a cam lock tool.( I've removed my head a couple times and the chain, cams etc..) just be sure your block timing stays TDC and then you put the head back on set the timing from there. It's pretty simple. Double, triple and quadruppole check that the head and crank are at TDC and then use a breaker bar and with correct socket on the crank and turn the engine clockwise a few revolutions to be sure before you ever crank it. With the spark plugs out you should feel no resistance at any point.

O and the timing chain fits pretty snugg so if somthings off you'll know. It just about fits perfect. It somthings not right you'd know. And no offense but be sure the chain is on before you turn the engine over with the beaker bar to check TDC.
        DENY IGNORANCE!
        Schwarz 325-totaled
        brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
        don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Okay good, I was just about to ask what happens if I don't have that tool...haha

Everything is clean, I spent a while taking care of that, is there much I can do about pitting in the profile gasket spot? The guide I used mentioned using epoxy, that seemed a bit sketchy to me though...other than that the engine is in surprisingly nice shape for having probably 200k+ on it
          sigpic

Comment

Do you have the cam tool? If not you can borrow mine. Im up in Kirkland :)
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I might have it, but the head is already off. Thank you though
              sigpic

Comment

I've heard of people using some gasket maker with the profile gasket. I've tried it once under the gasket just to provide some extra pressure to "seal" it but I run it without it now. Made no difference for me.

Some putting/corrosion is normal on an engine with that many miles. As long as it's not excessive you're fine.
                DENY IGNORANCE!
                Schwarz 325-totaled
                brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
                don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Check the profile gasket before putting the upper timing cover back on. Mine had pushed itself out and was causing oil and coolant leaks. Save you from having to do it all over again.

M42 turbo build.
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

Great success! Well so far anyway, haven't driven it, just started it up.

Thanks for the tips guys, this engine is ridiculously easy(knock on wood).
                    sigpic

Comment

Excellent, hope this success spurs you on! The M42 is a genuinely simple engine to work on/maintain.

Also, don't say knock, what with having no sensor to detect it. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        Excellent, hope this success spurs you on! The M42 is a genuinely simple engine to work on/maintain.

Also, don't say knock, what with having no sensor to detect it. ;)
                        Not much left to spur on, this is my fourth e30 in 8 years, haha, just haven't done a headgasket before.

Amazing how much less of a headache this thing has been than my old rusty m20. m20s are overrated :D
                        sigpic

Comment

I just found out that I need to do the head gasket on my m42. Just wondering what brands you went with for gasket and bolts/studs and why. Any input is appreciated. I have done a few m20 head gaskets but this will be my first m42...

Comment

Originally posted by Awe30some View Post
                            I just found out that I need to do the head gasket on my m42. Just wondering what brands you went with for gasket and bolts/studs and why. Any input is appreciated. I have done a few m20 head gaskets but this will be my first m42...
                            goetz head gasket. no victor reinz.

for head bolts victor reinz is ok.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                            Ig:ryno_pzk
                            I like the tuna here.
                            Originally posted by lambo
                            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

^^Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X