A question regarding temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should the needle on the temperature gauge rest when normally operating an e30 318is? Mine tends to sit in the middle but I noticed it creeped slightly to the right yesterday and turning the heater on cooled in down. If this is an issue, any idea what it might be? Sorry if this has already been answered, I'm still new here and I don't know how to search for archived threads. Thanks in advance.

The needle should sit about vertical, right in the middle of the gauge. It may move 1-2 needle widths either way as operating conditions vary, but any more than that may be indicative of a dying thermostat or water pump.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

What temperature thermostat should be installed? I put in a 71°c thermostat in the summer and my car is constantly on or just above the first line. Now that the weather is turning cold should I put in a higher temp thermostat? I noticed that my car is more constantly idling higher since the temp dropped for winter and the needle is usually just under the first line. Now it's around 1800rpm idling out of gear (manual) and I was wondering since it's so cold does the engine still think it's in warm up mode and is idling higher? If I turn off the car and turn it back on the idle settles down to 800 or so.

Thanks!

Comment

Mine has a new 88* thermostat, new composite impeller waterpump, and no clutch fan. It generally sits to the left of vertical about two or three needle widths.
        91 318is - Gone
        16 VW GTI
        07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

Holy shit, 71C??? Dude, the standard thermostat for the M42 (everywhere except the Sahara) is 88C. I ran an 80C one ONCE in 2003 for about a month because I had no idea what I was doing and yeah, it never fully warmed up and I was getting crap gas mileage and fouled up all of my plugs along with ruining my cat. Get an 88C one in there ASAP! The Bay Area and its 1.5 seasons never gets hot enough to warrant anything other than the 88C thermostat.

Also, when you have the thermostat housing off make sure that the air bypass groove that connects the 2 chambers is clean and clear. That makes bleeding the air out a LOT easier.

Comment

I pulled a 71 out of my car, it never got up to temp even in Arizona during the summer. I'd always assumed the thing was stuck open and I was surprised to find it wasn't when I replaced it.
            91 318is - Gone
            16 VW GTI
            07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

I've got the 85 m10, but yeah I'll be putting a higher temp one in soon. I was nervous about the car because I replaced water pump, blown rad and thermostat in the summer. 71 seems like overkill now that it's winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Navarone View Post
                What temperature thermostat should be installed? I put in a 71°c thermostat in the summer and my car is constantly on or just above the first line. Now that the weather is turning cold should I put in a higher temp thermostat? I noticed that my car is more constantly idling higher since the temp dropped for winter and the needle is usually just under the first line. Now it's around 1800rpm idling out of gear (manual) and I was wondering since it's so cold does the engine still think it's in warm up mode and is idling higher? If I turn off the car and turn it back on the idle settles down to 800 or so.

Thanks!
                Ya 71C is bad... your car is designed to run at 88C! Your engine will never get to the proper temp with that thermostat. Replace it with the OEM temp.

Comment

Originally posted by ihaveaquestion View Post
                  Where should the needle on the temperature gauge rest when normally operating an e30 318is? Mine tends to sit in the middle but I noticed it creeped slightly to the right yesterday and turning the heater on cooled in down. If this is an issue, any idea what it might be? Sorry if this has already been answered, I'm still new here and I don't know how to search for archived threads. Thanks in advance.
                  Sounds like things are getting a touch warm. It could be a lot of things. Bad fan clutch, clogged radiator, failing water pump, failing thermostat, etc.. Time to start investigating!

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                    Sounds like things are getting a touch warm. It could be a lot of things. Bad fan clutch, clogged radiator, failing water pump, failing thermostat, etc.. Time to start investigating!
                    Could be as simple as a loose belt as the belt that drives the alternator also drives the fan clutch.

Comment

All I could find was 80°c. I remember seeing a 92°c one last time I was looking so I got the 71°c instead.

Comment

Are the thermostats marked for temp? Mine sits just past the first click most of the time...
                        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                        Originally posted by roguetoaster
                        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Comment

Mine is an m10

Comment

Pelican parts had an 80° so I bought that, we'll see if it fixes the high idle.

Comment

Working...
                              X