What's a good chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
    I've got a DINAN chip in my 318is. I can't tell if it's any good cause that is all I've driven. My friend who has a e36 and has driven my e30 318is said my car was way faster then another dude's e36 318is.

dlm ny country
    Would you happen to know the part number for the chip cause so far I haven't had any luck finding any.

Comment

Just search "M42 chip" in the parts for sale section. First result is a Hamann chip for $100. It boasts the highest RPM increase, to 7350 RPM, of any I have seen, which is probably not a good thing on a stock M42.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        Just search "M42 chip" in the parts for sale section. First result is a Hamann chip for $100. It boasts the highest RPM increase, to 7350 RPM, of any I have seen, which is probably not a good thing on a stock M42.
        Thanks man, I'll have to keep looking to see what I find. I found the one you mentioned but not so sure since my car is stock.

Comment

Explanation or kidding?
          Some chip retailers just add 2-5 degrees of timing in the WOT maps and call it a "perfomance chip". Others actually tune all the maps. Some even go as far as just adding timing where the factory pulled it in peak torque to remove the "dip" in power, then raise the rev limiter beyond where it makes power - which neither is good for your engine (specially stock).

That is rather high. Even 7100 is too high. My local friend took the performance chip out of his 318 track car as he had valve float issues twice, ruining two engines. I wrote him a chip using the stock limiter, but with better mapping for performance. The car has near 100hrs or racing, and the only issue since was a syncro failure in the transmission. Perhaps on the street, the engine wouldn't be as taxed if the owner was aware of the dangers.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3ochoa View Post
            Would you happen to know the part number for the chip cause so far I haven't had any luck finding any.

I've got the stock chip in the glove box. It is in a chip case. If it says Dinan on it maybe I could get the number for you. Besides that I wouldn't know the number. I do know I can rev up to 7.1k or7.2k. Will let you know maybe tomorrow..

dlm ny country
            Attached Files

Comment

MarkD from what I've heard is the best M42 chip...
              -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
              -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Originally posted by Nesset View Post
                MarkD from what I've heard is the best M42 chip...
                For a stock m42?

Comment

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
                  I've got the stock chip in the glove box. It is in a chip case. If it says Dinan on it maybe I could get the number for you. Besides that I wouldn't know the number. I do know I can rev up to 7.1k or7.2k. Will let you know maybe tomorrow..

dlm ny country
                  Oh nice man, thanks. Yeah just whenever you can will be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Some chip retailers just add 2-5 degrees of timing in the WOT maps and call it a "perfomance chip". Others actually tune all the maps. Some even go as far as just adding timing where the factory pulled it in peak torque to remove the "dip" in power, then raise the rev limiter beyond where it makes power - which neither is good for your engine (specially stock).
                    This is undoubtedly true, and I have heard it mentioned before, but do you have any reason to doubt any of the chips mentioned, assuming they were authentic versions? If you have any information on specific chips that do not add anything useful to the mapping please post up, or PM me if you'd rather not post it as I'd really like to know.

If someone were to buy a chip from a reputable manufacturer I would trust that some actual work and thought went in to the creation of the product. This is exactly why we all know that eBay chips are to be avoided.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    That is rather high. Even 7100 is too high. My local friend took the performance chip out of his 318 track car as he had valve float issues twice, ruining two engines. I wrote him a chip using the stock limiter, but with better mapping for performance. The car has near 100hrs or racing, and the only issue since was a syncro failure in the transmission. Perhaps on the street, the engine wouldn't be as taxed if the owner was aware of the dangers.
                    Our M42 powered Chump team has been running a chip that allows running to at least 7k, I'd have to double check which one, for 95+ plus hours on track without an issue. We haven't altered the engine, or restricted the RPM in any other way and the camshaft is not showing any abnormal wear/cold compression numbers still look good.

Additionally, I have run a Mark D chip in my M42 powered street car for more than two years, regularly bump (but don't hover at) the ~7100RPM limiter (yes, I know I'm out of the useful power band).

For some reason, valve float does not seem to be a frequent or damaging problem on these two engines. Perhaps it's the people who are driving them, or the overall condition of the top end, who knows, but it has yet to cause valve interference.

In any case, it's important to point out that anyone who uses a chip with a raised rev limit should be aware that the possibility of catastrophic damage to the engine can occur on a stock valve train.

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3ochoa View Post
                      For a stock m42?
                      There are practically no bolt-ons worth a fuck on these cars so yeah, a markd chip on a stock motor is what you want.

Comment

A local guy to me makes chips for most bmw platforms including our e30's check them out.

sigpic
                        Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
                        1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
                        Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Working...
                        X