Open Breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Breather

When I got my e30 it was beat up and had a aftermarket intake and the breather was open. I'm trying to troubleshoot it myself but am having difficulties.

This is what I have tried so far:

I tried to go to the junk yard and get an airbox for an m42 so I could put it in. I think I got the wrong one. Can people post pictures of there m42 airbox's and where I should connect my breather hose to.

I covered the breather hole with my finger today and oil started spewing from this blue hose, any ideas?

Here are pictures

M42club.com will be your friend! http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=2742.315

You are also missing the correct intake boot and AFM. Why anyone would do that to an M42 engine is beyond me.
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

You need BMW Part # 13 71 1 734 385

Order your parts from Blunttech.com or steve@blunttech.com.

He will help you get what you need.

Comment

As stated you need the OEM intake boot, however you should be able to do with out. i have in the past bypassed the intake boot port via connecting the breather to the port under the throttle (not the small fpr hose) using a T fitting.
        That being said the vacuum lines should be a closed system after the AFM, so the blue line needs be connected to something. Where does it start?
        My advice would be to disconnect all vacuum hoses and start fresh using the mess under the intake guide lines. I say this b/c the blue line that you point out should not be on that side of the car.
        BTW was this an attempt at a turbo set up? (it appears to have a number of extra hoses/ fuel pressure gauge)
        Feel free to PM me if i need to be more specific.

Comment

OP - Cosmic Serpent is on to something here. What is the goal of your build/repair? If you are going to return it to stock, then it looks like you have some work to do.

Comment

Comment

alternatively run it into a catch can
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Apologies for thread jack.
                Could I delete the vacuum line from the valve cover and in place add a breather filter?
                I've already routed the vac lines from the mess under the intake, currently I also have an open pcv. Will adding a filter cause negative effects? Is it better to run it as a vac line?
                Thank you.

Comment

Personally I think you should run it as a vac line to avoid vac issues. I know folks run a catch can but it still terminates back on the boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                    Personally I think you should run it as a vac line to avoid vac issues. I know folks run a catch can but it still terminates back on the boot.
                    Thanks, I think I will do that. It does look like I'd be getting a little oil coming back through so I will look into a catch can. Any idea what or where I can get a T-connector (oem part #) to run a line both through the boot and throttle body?
                    I also wanted to ask about those silicone hoses from hiperformancestore, If I were to buy the kit, would it have long enough 19/32 line for this modification? or would I be better off piecing together a kit of lines? What size did you use to replace and attach from the icv elbow?
                    Mahalo, I appreciate your help.

Comment

My kit had a long enough line. The kit has instructions which I do not remember off the top of my head. I have mine running from the valve cover to the boot. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it up.

You could try a hardware store, but if you did the mess under the intake (and you should do that) then the T connector is unnecessary. Read the entire thread on M42club.com or Simon's Mess Under the Intake on R3V. You will have the collective knowledge of many at that point.

Comment

hmm, I think I did read a post where some came across the same issue.
                        I have two holes in my intake boot, and 2 holes from the engine that need lines, and one from the tb.
                        I think what I will be doing is: run line from icv goes to intake boot. Run a line from pcv to throttle body. plug the other hole in the intake boot.
                        Does that sound like it would work out well?
                        Currently my car is sitting with no line in pcv, that other hole in the boot is elbowed into the tb. It is idling very smoothly though.

Comment

Idle control valve must be connected to throttle body as far as I understand
                          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

op are you boosted? By covering the VC breather hole you are pressurizing the crank case thus causing oil to spew out the turbo oil drain

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                            Ig:ryno_pzk
                            I like the tuna here.
                            Originally posted by lambo
                            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I run an open breather on my turbo setup. The actual PCV separator is in the valve cover, so there is very little oil carryover. Mine just vents down by the transmission tunnel, under the flywheel housing. I ran a catch can for awhile, but in the winter it would ice up and pressurize the crankcase, which is no good.

PM me if you need any of those M42 parts - I have the rubber boot, AFM, airbox, all that stuff, that I really don't need anymore.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X