M42 idle problem finally fixed after 3 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 idle problem finally fixed after 3 years

After 3 years, 80,000 miles, and many many parts replaced, I finally fixed my idle.

You've probably seen my threads like this:

and this:

this:

and many many many more.

Today I finally decided to inspect the motor timing. I thought this was going to be the last thing that could possibly be wrong- after all, the PO's have been older men who I presumed had no interest in modding the car.
    I was wrong.
    The exhaust cam was adjusted pretty much as far as it would go.
    Thanks to the help of Roguetoaster, I was able to adjust the timing relatively easily and finally fix this stupid idle issue.
    So thanks once again to him and everyone else who helped! And here's a photo of my car near the tail of the dragon to make this thread a little more interesting.

Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

So often it is something relatively simple but unexpected or unnoticed! I pop the valve cover and check this every 12-18 months. I have never seen the sprockets slip, but that might be because I routinely check the bolts' torque!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

M42s may have their flaws, but I'd like to think that they have one of the most helpful owner bases out there.

Glad you finally got it worked out, now go enjoy it (more)!

For everyone else, check your timing annually. It only takes 45 minutes.

Comment

Now I feel like going out and checking mine since I have a spare genuine vc gasket sitting around
        '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
        '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
        '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
        '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

I have a slight idle problem now, high idle (around 900-1100rpm when warm) looks like it might be my VC gasket as it's pretty leaky and all my valve cover bolts don't really tighten as the threads in the head are stripped. But! It's way better than the real rumbly idle I had before.
          Originally posted by TSI
          OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
            I have a slight idle problem now, high idle (around 900-1100rpm when warm) looks like it might be my VC gasket as it's pretty leaky and all my valve cover bolts don't really tighten as the threads in the head are stripped. But! It's way better than the real rumbly idle I had before.
            Fixed!
            Solution:
            Bought the wrong ICV off of r3v member about 3 years ago, didn't realize it was a M20 ICV until now. Switched to a M42 ICV and it idles perfectly now at 700rpm!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO
            Originally posted by TSI
            OEM+

Comment

I agree with the timing fix as I just did this after 3 yrs or looking. I might not had it timed right after my last top end rebuild. Checking timing is all else seems to be checked out before swapping out parts.
              Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                Fixed!
                Solution:
                Bought the wrong ICV off of r3v member about 3 years ago, didn't realize it was a M20 ICV until now. Switched to a M42 ICV and it idles perfectly now at 700rpm!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO
                Congrats dude!!! I've been seeing your threads forever lol and felt really bad it wasn't working out. Way to stick it out and figure it out! ENJOY!!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
                  Congrats dude!!! I've been seeing your threads forever lol and felt really bad it wasn't working out. Way to stick it out and figure it out! ENJOY!!!!
                  It's quite a change to drive even about a week later. When I come to stop lights I always think my car has turned off on me since I'm used to the rumbling feel :p
                  Originally posted by TSI
                  OEM+

Comment

Working...
                  X