Losing lots of coolant but no smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing lots of coolant but no smoke

My 1991 M42 is losing pretty muck all of the coolant in the expansion tank within 500 miles. No smoke, on startup or while driving. The profile gasket was replaced around 20,000 miles ago.
    Any ideas what it may be or where to look?

Thanks

under your dash wet? in the footwells?
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Nope, totally dry.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can't find any leaks with a pressure test, there is the possibility of head gasket leak that is pumping air into the cooling system. Eventually the pressure will get high enough to lift the cap, which will dump coolant overboard. That may only happen while driving and leave no trace as to what happened.

The definitive test for this is to pressurize each cylinder with 180psi air for several minutes while monitoring cooling system pressure with a 0-5psi gauge. If the test is negative on a cold engine it must be repeated with the engine hot.

A DIY test is to remove the cap to release any pressure once the engine has completely cooled down when you park the car for the night. The hoses will be soft at that point. Then drive the car and allow,the engine to completely cool down. If the hoses are firm/hard then, air is being pumped into the cooling system.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Beemerdan View Post
          My 1991 M42 is losing pretty muck all of the coolant in the expansion tank within 500 miles. No smoke, on startup or while driving. The profile gasket was replaced around 20,000 miles ago.
          Any ideas what it may be or where to look?

Thanks
          Dan, I'd pressure test the cooling system first. I had a similar issue where a hose had a pinhole leak that only leaked when fully pressurized. I think you can rent fairly inexpensively a pressure tester from your local Autozone / O'Reilly's etc ...

Just a thought.
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

I once had a water pump that failed that way too, now that I think about it...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
            X