Fuel pressure regulator vacuum disconnected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pressure regulator vacuum disconnected

I am wrapping up the "mess" mod on my 318 and while taking it apart I noticed the FPR small vacuum line was disconnected at the throttle body end.
    Weird thing is the car ran great prior to starting the work, only very slight idle hanging up, most people probably wouldn't notice it.
    I'll hopefully have her running in an hour, but just curious if anyone else has run their cars without this hose?
    Thanks!
    Attached Files

Sure. You run rich, until the ECU wises up, then you just get poorer
    transition fuel economy. And the ecu is always playing catch- up, as
    the fuel delivery rate's always changing...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thanks. I reconnected during assembly.
      I just turned it over for the first time after a lot of work and new parts.
      Runs well, a little idle hunting between 700-800, but I assume that may level out after driving for a bit.

I started seeing some white smoke after a few minutes, continued for another minute before I turned it off. I'm hoping that's just some condensation or cleaning fluids burning off.
      Does anyone else remember excessive smoke (tailpipe) after doing the "mess" mod?

Other work I performed while in there:
      Coolant flush
      Spark plugs
      Valve cover gasket
      Alternator bushings
      Accessory belts
      cleaned injectors, but I dropped one and had to replace with a 4-nozzle injector (I assume a later year version?)
      Painted the intake manifold and valve cover

Comment

E30's freak me the hell out with how much water they pump out during warmup.

I've driven 2002's, E21's, E30s, currently 2 E36's and an E46,
        and every time I warm up the E30, especially if it's been sitting,
        I fear for the head gasket. And it's always ok. I think it's worse
        if the ECU adaptations have been lost- I shut the main disconnect off
        on the race car if it sits, and it seems to do it a lot more then.

So drive it- unless you have other symptoms, no sweat.

hth

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

^ thanks! That makes me feel better. I did have the battery disconnected for the last 8 weeks while I was working and waiting on parts, so I'm sure the ecu is confused as heck.
          Not to mention is was used to running with multiple vacuum leaks and what appears to be the FPR disconnected, lol

Comment

I wish I had started a build thread (restoration thread), it's beyond satisfying to put a lot of work, parts, money, and have it run like it left the factory 25 years ago!
            I'm loving this little 4 banger!

I have yet to route the plug wires, but pretty much all done.. For now.
            Attached Files

Comment

Soda blast stuff like the throttlebody for more pretties!

Comment

Working...
              X