2 Fire
    3 Air
    4 Compression
    5 Time

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
      OP Which out of these do you not have?
      1 Fuel
      2 Fire
      3 Air
      4 Compression
      5 Time
      1. Fuel is good. Pressure is good.
      2. Spark plugs are firing. New plugs, new spark plug wires.
      3. New AFM, what else do I look for?
      4. Compression is good.
      5. Time is spot on.
      Founder
      TheDirtyThirty
      instagram.com/thedirtythirty

Comment

Also DJ, where in SD? I'm moving there in August.
        Founder
        TheDirtyThirty

Comment

East County Sd. El Cajon area. Do simple checks first if you haven't already. Spark plug firing order and make sure the fuel lines are correctly plumbed. Its easy to flip them.

What part of Utah? Lived in Cedar City for about 3 years to get my degree

I like the tuna here.

Comment

East County Sd. El Cajon area. Do simple checks first if you haven't already. Spark plug firing order and make sure the fuel lines are correctly plumbed. Its easy to flip them.

What part of Utah? Lived in Cedar City for about 3 years to get my degree
            That's awesome. I'll be in North County. I've done the simple checks, but i'll double check fuel lines are correct. I've definitely made that mistake before. Even then, it doesn't start on ether. Should it?

And i'm in Utah County - Used to live in St. George.
            Founder
            TheDirtyThirty

Comment

Nice. Really like St George. It should if you have spark. Are you 100% the time is correct?

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Nice. Really like St George. It should if you have spark. Are you 100% the time is correct?
                Likewise. And i'll have to double check, but I was pretty certain it was 100% spot on. Not sure where else to look, unless it could be a wiring issue. Even if timing was slightly off, wouldn't it still at least run like shit?
                Founder
                TheDirtyThirty

Comment

Not always. If you are one tooth off it'll still run but then again if you are more than that you run the risk of hitting valves and pistons.

Check the easy stuff first and then report back. Im sure it is something stupid.

When you key on engine off before you crank is the CEL illuminated?

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Not always. If you are one tooth off it'll still run but then again if you are more than that you run the risk of hitting valves and pistons.

Check the easy stuff first and then report back. Im sure it is something stupid.

When you key on engine off before you crank is the CEL illuminated?
                    I'll have to double check and report back. Stomp test was working properly and all clear.
                    Founder
                    TheDirtyThirty

Comment

OP, did you get this figured out?
                      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Did you somehow mix up the cam and crank position sensors? It's unlikely since the plugs should more or less face the right way, but you never know.

How did you confirm that you are in fact getting fuel into the cylinders? Raw gas smell in the exhaust? How about verifying spark?

Could you have mixed up the ignition coil plugs? At start-up things are in wasted spark mode with plugs 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 paired. If you mixed up the coil connections just right, you'd get no combustion. Do you get any stumbles or partial-fires, or nothing at all?

Is there any possibility that you got the crank 360 degrees off from the cams (cylinder 1 at TDC of the intake stroke rather than the power stroke)? You want things physically aligned as shown in the left-most part of the bottom diagram of the first post:

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                          OP, did you get this figured out?
                          Unfortunately not.
                          Founder
                          TheDirtyThirty

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                            Did you somehow mix up the cam and crank position sensors? It's unlikely since the plugs should more or less face the right way, but you never know.

How did you confirm that you are in fact getting fuel into the cylinders? Raw gas smell in the exhaust? How about verifying spark?

Could you have mixed up the ignition coil plugs? At start-up things are in wasted spark mode with plugs 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 paired. If you mixed up the coil connections just right, you'd get no combustion. Do you get any stumbles or partial-fires, or nothing at all?

Is there any possibility that you got the crank 360 degrees off from the cams (cylinder 1 at TDC of the intake stroke rather than the power stroke)? You want things physically aligned as shown in the left-most part of the bottom diagram of the first post:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=374858
                            Spark has been verified. We have tried starting using ether, but to no avail. Perhaps I should recheck the injectors and everything else.

No stumbles. No partial-fires. Just straight cranking.

And that could be the case. I'll have to double check, but last I checked the timing was 100%. Ahhhh.

So many potential things. Thanks for the feedback!
                            Founder
                            TheDirtyThirty

Comment

Yeah I would try swapping injectors with some known working ones and go from there!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by theTBLACK View Post
                                Spark has been verified. We have tried starting using ether, but to no avail. Perhaps I should recheck the injectors and everything else.

No stumbles. No partial-fires. Just straight cranking.

And that could be the case. I'll have to double check, but last I checked the timing was 100%. Ahhhh.

So many potential things. Thanks for the feedback!
                                Spark verified...did you remove a plug, leave it connected and see the spark? I'd think that you'd get something, at least a misfire, if you spray ether into the intake while cranking if you had spark.

Could you have reversed the fuel feed lines? I think that if you connect them to the rail backwards you won't get any flow since the regulator doesn't really allow backwards flow.

Did you remove or disconnect the ECU at any point? Maybe it is not plugged in, or you forgot to install a chip? If you replaced the DME, it is entirely possible that there is no chip in it unless you opened it and checked.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
                                X