Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Start

Hi guys,

The last time I drove the car frequently was about June. Since then it has sat for most of July at my mother's house. It was hooked up to a NOCO smart charger the entire time. I took the car out for the first time since June on July 24th and everything started fine. I drove again 26th and didn't really notice anything different. Last night on the 29th I took the car out to meet some friends and noticed the start up was not as strong as should be, but didn't really pay too much attention to it. After photoshoot, car wouldn't start at all, it was reading 12.4V after a couple tries so I don't think it's a battery drain issue.
    Today I measured the batt prior to cranking it read 12.9V so that should be more than plenty of juice to start I think.

Any idea what the problem may be? At first I was leaning towards a bad ground, but now I think it may be fuel system related. Alternator is also charging at 13.6V a little low I guess but should be enough. Below is a video of the start sequence.

Electrical components replaced in the car.
    Luke Box sound system
    Bav Restoration ground kit
    Replaced alternator Nov 2015
    Replaced battery Feb 2014(Motomaster)
    Repalced SI Board Apr 2015
    Voltage regulator Jun 2016

Where would be a good place to start from easiest to most difficult?

The ups and downs of owning an e30 haha, sometimes I wish I wouldn't need to post so much in here.

Thanks
    Ivan
    Last edited by iPee; 07-31-2016, 03:24 PM.

Dropped the car off at my mothers place. I cranked it 4 times and it started 3 times but it was struggling. On the 4th it wouldn't start at all took another reading at the batt and it read 10.4V. Is this normal? I feel like it should be able to start many more times before it drains that much under normal circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did another test. Car off battery is reading 13.6V. Turned to accessory it still read 13V. Turned to ignition/start position voltage dropped to 3.7V. I guess there is a big draw somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I know the battery is fully charged, and I tried to start it today but it seems like there's no power at all. You can see in the vid the dash lights start to dim once I turn it to ignition. Also what is that red light above the radio it blinked at the end once I returned the key to the accessory position. I have never seen that light flash in the entire time i've owned the car.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

It's the battery.

Or the battery connections- start at the terminals and work your way outwards...

...but it's probably the battery.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

honestly, try a jump start. see if that helps.

as far as the voltage drop issue you have some tests you need to do. bad grounds can cause loads of different issues but I recommend you get some BAVARIAN RESTORATION replacement ground cables. theyre cheap, like $40 and are plain good preventative maintenance. Will likely help your problem but maybe not. could be a vacuum leak or something.

reset the DME by leaving the battery unplugged overnight while you trickle charge it and then go from there.

Comment

haha well what do you know it is the battery. Went home to play hockey today and decided to take a peek, and notice the NOCO charger was still charging the batt from 50% on and upwards. Thought this was strange as it should have kept it topped up at 100% or thereabouts. Anyways took the battery to Canadian Tire to have it tested and it read 0 CCA and 11.9V. Got a warranty replacement and wired everything back up and it was good to go :).

The first crank it was good. However I tried it a few more times and it didn't sound so great.

In the first video it sounds like the piston got stuck and was grinding the flywheel. Kind of diffcult to hear but thats what it sounded like

In the second video I'm not sure what is going on it sounds like it's spinning the fist 2 times but not turning over. Then it finally turns over the 3rd try. My friend said it may be a timing issue, but the car runs fine once it's started.

Last edited by iPee; 08-03-2016, 10:52 PM.

Comment

starter is skipping off the flywheel teeth because the solenoid is not triggering it properly. Sometimes you can tap the starter with a hammer and this will solve it temporarily

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                Ig:ryno_pzk
                I like the tuna here.
                Originally posted by lambo
                Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                X