Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Seized?

Hi Guys,

Need help here. I know this is M42 forum, but my question is about an M44 which is a similar engine. i could ask at 318ti.org but I am biased to R3v members.

So, my brother gave me a 1999 318ti that doesn't run. He said it died on the freeway and the engine has no oil. no noise, no clunking, just shut off.

It is dead in my garage right now. I put oil and some in through the plug hole. If I try to turn the crank by hand, I can't.

Engine toast? or is this salvageable?

Thanks,

If you can't turn by hand, it's toast.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

fresh TD, thanks for the confirmation.

Now, just a matter of what to put in there.

Comment

Originally posted by herbie View Post
        fresh TD, thanks for the confirmation.

Now, just a matter of what to put in there.
        Get another M44., They're good engines and cheap to buy.

'91 318i (Alpine) - daily
        '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
          Get another M44., They're good engines and cheap to buy.

Might just do that. was hoping it was not seized, oh well. He wouldn't be giving me the car if it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by herbie View Post
            Might just do that. was hoping it was not seized, oh well. He wouldn't be giving me the car if it wasn't.
            It's taken me in the past a decent amount of effort to get it to turn over by hand, throw some penetrating oil in the holes and let it sit for a while, then try. Use a breaker bar to get a decent amount of leverage behind it
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Do the above, but also remove the VC to look for top end damage or a chain that's not tensioned in case it's valve interference.

Also rotate the engine the opposite way if you haven't already.

As to a swap, and S52 in a ti is a lot of fun, ask me how I know. But an M54 would also be a good option.

Comment

Be careful not to rotate the engine too far in the CCW direction. The timing chain can bind and get stuck or jump a tooth down at the crank sprocket. Just go enough if that's what it takes to break it loose.

I also second pulling the valve cover and poking around for signs of distress.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Engine Seized?

Not recommended but when I had a seized motor I put tranny fluid instead of oil and let some penetrating oil soak the spark plug holes. Then I Tried turning motor by breaker bar. Took me 3 days of trying to turn it with a older rusted car but managed to free it and then immediately change oil.

Do a engine swap the motors are cheap

Comment

Working...
                  X