Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud clunking from the rear... Axle tramp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud clunking from the rear... Axle tramp?

I was sure it was the diff bushing, but that didn't totally solve the problem. Here's the deal: when I'm taking off from a start (I do this a lot in DC traffic), sometimes I'll get a shaking in the rear that will build up until things start clunking around. I thought it was the diff bushing allowing the diff to move, but replacing that only partially solved the problem. I'm also getting a clunk whenever I lift or apply the throttle, most noticeable in the 30-50mph range. Also, there is a distinct side to side shaking feeling I get between 20-30mph when crawling along in traffic. Is this a center support bearing? Seized u-joints? Or something else?

Start with the center support bearing. It may be the CV or u-joints, but those also tend to rattle when they go bad, and don't have much effect under steady-state acceleration.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Check your exhaust hangers.

Comment

if you fixed it a bit with a new bushing, try retorquing the upper bolts that hold the diff on the chassis. they usually get loose and allow the axle to pivot around the hubs center of rotation, do to the centrifugal force. and give some update.

Comment

rear subframe bushigs deffinatly

Comment

Rear SF bushings.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

CSB or CAB

Comment

I had the same problem. Its most likely the exhaust. My exhaust tip had actually cracked.

Comment

could def be csb and/or bad ujoints
                  Originally posted by Gruelius
                  and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Could also be a bad CV joint. Check for play between the hubs and axle shafts.
                    '91 318is
                    sigpic

Comment

mine does this too. im pretty sure its the csb ill fix it when i get some money. Do yours and tell me if it helped! haha

Comment

Before you take anything apart, make sure that the u-joint nuts are tight and the differential-to-subframe bolts are tight.

If any of these are loose, you will get clunking noises.

Don't ask me how I know.

Comment

how do you know ahah

Comment

I have same problem in my 323i, it's the subframe bushes slopping around.

Good place to check on top of everything else anyway.
                            ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Working...
                            X