ATTN All 91 318i owners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTN All 91 318i owners.

I would like to know how you guys like your cars. Is insurance any cheaper with a 318? I might be buying a 91 318i 4 door 5 spd for about 800. It needs a clutch and shifter linkage but thats it. Let me know how you guys like your cars. What mods you have done. Pics. everything.

Thanks!

-Chris

I had a 325e before i got my 318is and yes the insurance is cheaper for a few reasons, one being airbag. The car gets awesome gas mileage but i did not know until after i got the car that at 10:1 comp you should be running 91oct or better.

As for good mods for this car I'd start with COP and Mark D chip, personally I've kept my car completely stock and just been replacing all the basic stuff like fuel injectors to brakes and suspension.
    Last edited by EN318isPDX; 12-02-2008, 11:59 AM.

Comment

go to m42club.com

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
      1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Insurance is cheap and fuel economy is great. Not the fastest thing in the world. i didn't realize until later that when the air temperature is below 90f you can safely run it on 87 octane because of the low 10:1 compression ratio even though the manual calls for 91. Go to m42club.

Comment

Theres not really any great info on M42club. Theres not enough people on that forum to offer anything.
          As for insurance it is cheaper to have a 2 door over a 4 door. When I went from a 2door to a 4 door my insurance jumped. Reason being was it had 2 extra doors. Who would have thought.
          either way they are great cars. With it being a 4 door 4 cylinder you get the best of both worlds. Great gas miles and good DD.

Comment

I have a 318is. I like it, but it's a pretty pathetic motor (stock). It just doesnt have any power anywhere.

My car has Bilstein Sports, H&R sport springs, E36 M3 offset control arm bushings, E46 cabby shock mounts, stainless steel brake lines, a JB racing 8 lb flywheel, and a Z3 M shifter. Pretty basic tight setup. It drives excellent and is good for the track or daily beating. The weight balance gives the car very nice turn-in. The car is a blast on curvy roads.

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
              I have a 318is. I like it, but it's a pretty pathetic motor (stock). It just doesnt have any power anywhere.

My car has Bilstein Sports, H&R sport springs, E36 M3 offset control arm bushings, E46 cabby shock mounts, stainless steel brake lines, a JB racing 8 lb flywheel, and a Z3 M shifter. Pretty basic tight setup. It drives excellent and is good for the track or daily beating. The weight balance gives the car very nice turn-in. The car is a blast on curvy roads.
              My motor is completely stock and you really feel the power kick in around 3grand to 7 grand. 4 cylinders dont have the torque that you feel at the lower speeds in the M20.

I had H&R Sports and Bilsteins Sports in my 325e and i know for a fact the stock M42 suspension with 242k handles better. When i corner at 50mph the car feels like it wants to pull into the middle of the road compared to the M20 wanted to head for the ditch.

Comment

I <3 my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                  I <3 my car.
                  Me too!
                  -Pierre
                  1987 535is
                  1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                    My motor is completely stock and you really feel the power kick in around 3grand to 7 grand.
                    Ha there really is no power in an M42.. Mine is extremely healthy with 142k on the clock. It goes, but not fast anywhere in the rev range. Yes, it's faster than an eta, but it has even less of a power band, if that's possible.

I had H&R Sports and Bilsteins Sports in my 325e and i know for a fact the stock M42 suspension with 242k handles better.
                    Something about that just doesnt sound right. My car has 100k less and when I got it with the blown out shocks, worn control arm bushings, failed shock-top mounts, and bad ball joints, and toasted clutch it felt pretty terrible. My 323i with the H&R Sports + Bilsteins handled better and didnt feel like it was going to fall apart under hard cornering in city traffic.

Just my two cents, but I think you are trying a bit hard to support the M42.

By the way, my 318is with all of the problems stated above fixed drives nicer and is much more neutral than any similar 6-cylinder car I've had. Just saying that with those miles on a stock M42 suspension, it wont handle better than a 6-cylinder car with a nice suspension.

Comment

I really like my car, and the weight balance does make a bit of a difference. The lack of power isn't aweful, but it can be a bit tiresome to use so much throttle to keep up with traffic. It's pretty quick if you keep the revs above 5 grand, but it is no match for a 6-cylinder car. The only issue where that hurts me is large autocrosses or dragracing. I don't do the latter much, so I don't really have a need for more power. It really teaches you to drive the limit at the autocross instead of overdriving the car.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I like mine, but it's in too nice of shape to be a winter beater. So I'm selling it.

I don't get great mileage on the highway when I'm up around 80 (27 mpg) cause of the high RPMs. I guess I shouldn't complain because I rarely drive a little slower to get better mileage.

Comment

My motor is completely stock and you really feel the power kick in around 3grand to 7 grand. 4 cylinders dont have the torque that you feel at the lower speeds in the M20.

I had H&R Sports and Bilsteins Sports in my 325e and i know for a fact the stock M42 suspension with 242k handles better. When i corner at 50mph the car feels like it wants to pull into the middle of the road compared to the M20 wanted to head for the ditch.

haha yup! it feels great taking those turns.

Comment

I have had an m10, an m20 (i), and now an m42. I like the m42 most. It is only down 20 PS, and I find that it is more fun to drive. The difference in weight is noticeable, and it is more fun to rev out.

[/URL]

Comment

Its really not any slower than the m20 cars either. I have "compared" my m42 with MarkD chip to two of my friends cars (325i's) and have pulled them ever so slightly. I use mine just to get around campus etc and its been great. I get about 23-25mpg with mostly city driving which isnt too bad and I've got a clogged exhaust and original plug wires with 152,000 on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X