M42 Stroker which pistons to use???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Stroker which pistons to use???

I'm slowly buying parts to build a M42 stroker so far I have the m47d crank that I got from fresh_td, aftermarket 140mm rods. I also have a spare motor I bought a while back along with a late M42 timing case, arp head & main studs, and a crank girdle so I'm going to buying timing components and bearings pretty soon.

I calculated the DCH = 212- (88/2) - 140 -.15=27.8). I've been looking at m54 pistons since they have a CH of about 28mm and there's a aftermarket site that sells forged m54 pistons for pretty cheap.

I haven't been able to calculate the CR, but anywhere above 9:1 would be fine with me since way in the future I have an idea of turboing the motor. I have a MS3X "ready" for the car just working on a few different projects so it might be a while before I can get that in.

Any thoughts to see if the M54 pistons would be suitable in this application?

My Daily Driven 318is

i'd look for a set of forged slugs if you have realistic plans for a turbo unless very low boost. to get an idea on the limits of the pistons look at stock M54 and take 4/6 ths of the torque and hp number that people run on the stock stuff
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

That's what I was planning on: http://www.amp44.com/index.php?route...&product_id=94

These are the ones I was looking at, there's a guy on the forum (pazi88) that's going to be running this company's pistons and they come in at a really good price.

I just haven't seen many strokers with m54 pistons so I was wondering if it was possible and what type of CR it would give me or should I just go custom???

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Working...
      X