Shifter bushing kit DIY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter bushing kit DIY?

Is there any instructions or a DIY video that shows what you need to do to replace the shifter bushings / shift lever on the E30?
    A couple videos I looked at the guys were cutting out exhausts and dropping driveshafts and pulling out stuff and rebuilding it on a bench.
    Is that necessary?

Originally I thought this might not be a big deal.... now I'm not so sure.

I haven't seen a diy, but here's what I do:

1.) Buy the Garagistics shifter rebuild kit. You can use it as it, but it's too buzzy for me. I always replace the front carrier bushing with a stock rubber one. They cost about $10.
    2.)Put the front of the car on jack stands.
    3.) Put a jack under the front of the engine and lift it enough to take the weight off the transmission mounts.
    4.) Remove the nuts from the two rear transmission mounts and slowly lower the rear of the engine transmission assembly. (Sometimes the engine doesn't go down far enough and you have to loosen the bolts on the exhaust front to rear connection.)
    5.) Remove the bolts for the fireshield and slide it out. Yes, it will come out if the engine has been lowered enough.
    6.) Remove shift knob and inner and outer shift boots.
    7.) Remove all of the shifter linkages and pull it out of the car.
    8.) Change all the bushings in the Garagistic kit and put it back together.

You don't have to remove the exhaust or the driveshaft to do this.

Comment

Thanks twright. That seems a little better than some things I've seen. I don't love the idea of having to lower the transmission, but I guess if that's what you have to do....

Comment

Originally posted by Lippy View Post
        Thanks twright. That seems a little better than some things I've seen. I don't love the idea of having to lower the transmission, but I guess if that's what you have to do....
        Lowering the transmission is easy: Put a jack under the oil pan and loosen two bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post

Lowering the transmission is easy: Put a jack under the oil pan and loosen two bolts.
          put something between the jack and the pan. i've seen metal jacks crack and break the aluminum pan. try find a pan nowadays.

Comment

Working...
          X