Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove oil fill plug on Getrag 260 with long tube headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove oil fill plug on Getrag 260 with long tube headers?

So I wanted to change out my trans fluid, but with IE long tube headers they really make it very difficult to remove the fill plug. I can't even get a wrench on the plug. Anyone have a solution?

Are you using the BMW specific wrench for the transmission or are using something else?

Bavarian Autosport Differential Transfer Case Transmission Oil-Pan Wrench. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# BAV B8800025 BAV.B8800025 BAVB8800025.

How much room do you have exactly?
    Last edited by It's Soda Not Pop; 03-20-2023, 11:07 PM.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

​ I don't have a pic, but hopefully this one will give you an idea of how tight the space is. You need to get your wrench up between the collectors and then get the allen fitting in the plug and turn it out. That wrench you posted looks like it may not be long enough, as you can only get the wrench up so high. Plus, I'm going to change out the plug with one that has a male fitting, then use my new flex head wrench and socket to see

how that works. ​​​​​

The difficulty with using this wrench is that you need to keep the wrench at the correct angle to keep the fitting in the plug recess. The wrench you posted looks like it may be at a slight angle, and this would be a def benefit. Going to order it and see if I can make it work.

Comment

I don't have that pelican wrench but I have a zero offset XL box wrench and hex socket that I set up similar to it. Plenty of reach and leverage.

Comment

Working...
        X