• Show
Clear All

E30 Driveshaft

Got A M20 With A 5speed From A 525i
    and A Driveshaft From A Manual E30
    I Got The Engine Got The Engine In And Now I’ve Run
    Into A Problem The Flange From The Transmission Doesn’t
    Match The Drive Shaft. What I Do?

Do you have any pictures of the flange and driveshafts?

I know there were both small and big Giubo driveshafts made depending on model/year.

Comment

I assume you know there is a rubber donut "Giubo" between the tailshaft and transmission? There are a couple types of gearbox output flanges depending on year which suit the corresponding giubo.. from memory the E34 5 series had a larger flange. What's the bolt spacing measurement on your gearbox flange?

Basically you will need to either source the gearbox flange to suit your shaft (best option) OR get the tailshaft from the 5 series and have the flange transferred onto the e30 tailshaft you have. (which will be a fair bit of money as the shaft will then need to be balanced)

You will need a deep thinwall socket to get the nut off off that flange, idealy with a rattle gun as they can be a jerk to remove. Not bad if you have power/airtools tho.
      Boris - 89 E30 325i
      84- E30 323i

Comment

Looks like OP got their answer!

When I m30 swapped my car, I had to transfer smaller transmission output shaft flange onto the g265 so that I could use my stock e30 driveshaft. You're going to need an air or heavy duty electric impact to break the nut free.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I’m Waiting On My Mechanic To Get Back To Me With Pics And Measurements

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
            Looks like OP got their answer!

When I m30 swapped my car, I had to transfer smaller transmission output shaft flange onto the g265 so that I could use my stock e30 driveshaft. You're going to need an air or heavy duty electric impact to break the nut free.
            Do You Remember The Size Flange You Got For It?

Comment

Originally posted by Kwanzi30Boy View Post

Do You Remember The Size Flange You Got For It?
              Sorry, no clue
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
              X