Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UUC motorwerks evo3 short shifter fit an 85 E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UUC motorwerks evo3 short shifter fit an 85 E30?

Hey I've been looking into doing a short shift install for my 86 325 but the only issue is that the UUC says that it fits 86+ production year and my production year is an 85 (unfortunately). Would it still work if I tried to install it into my car? Has anyone tried this that's got an earlier model? Is there that much of a difference between the years?

The early cars had a sheet metal shift console and the late cars had a nicer cast piece. You can convert to the later carrier, I think.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
      The early cars had a sheet metal shift console and the late cars had a nicer cast piece. You can convert to the later carrier, I think.
      Which one is the console?

Comment

You have to pull the shift boot and see which console you have. If you have an 86, you might have the later style aluminum carrier depending on the cutoff. If you have the sheet metal early style, convert to the later style.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I had an 86 and 87 ETA, both were plate style shift mechanism.Which UUC shifter? The plate style is fine, just replace parts and it will be much better than you think. I can't tell the difference between early or late when they are both rebuilt. Use a nice DSSR, it will make the difference.

Comment

So I checked and I have the sheet metal. I can just remove that piece and upgrade it to the later cast aluminum style?

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
              I had an 86 and 87 ETA, both were plate style shift mechanism.Which UUC shifter? The plate style is fine, just replace parts and it will be much better than you think. I can't tell the difference between early or late when they are both rebuilt. Use a nice DSSR, it will make the difference.
              I was thinking of using the "evo3 ultimate short shifter" and if course I'll upgrade the linkage to a DSSR get rid of all the sloppy play

Comment

I don't know if it's possible to change to the late model shift carrier without also changing to a late model Getrag 260. You'll have to do some more research.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                  I don't know if it's possible to change to the late model shift carrier without also changing to a late model Getrag 260. You'll have to do some more research.
                  Some of the early model eta cars have the provision on the trans for the late model shifter. My 86 and 87 eta cars both did.

Comment

Originally posted by j_nutron View Post
                    So I checked and I have the sheet metal. I can just remove that piece and upgrade it to the later cast aluminum style?
                    Look on the trans for the back for the provision to attach the later model shifter: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...04#post6695704

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post

Look on the trans for the back for the provision to attach the later model shifter: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...04#post6695704
                      Ok thanks! I'll take a look into this

Comment

Working...
                      X