Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 i manual trans into an 87 eta auto?

Hi there,

I just sourced a manual trans from an 87 325is (M20B25) and was hoping to swap it into my 87 eta automatic (M20B27).

I saw this thread but it was still not clear to me whether these will be compatible. Can anyone confirm?

All m20 g260s will bolt up to all m20s. You just need to match flywheel and TOB to the depth of the bellhousing. The trans you have should be p/n 260.0.1346.90 and thus a shallow bellhousing trans. Will work perfect with a single mass flywheel and normal TOB.

The thread you linked has some bad info in it. This one is the updated one:

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      All m20 g260s will bolt up to all m20s. You just need to match flywheel and TOB to the depth of the bellhousing. The trans you have should be p/n 260.0.1346.90 and thus a shallow bellhousing trans. Will work perfect with a single mass flywheel and normal TOB.

The thread you linked has some bad info in it. This one is the updated one:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...mission-thread
      Thanks. What about the crank position sensor? Won't that be an issue?

Here is a pic of the trans. Yes, the part number you provide matches:

Comment

Originally posted by jc1000 View Post

Thanks. What about the crank position sensor? Won't that be an issue?

Here is a pic of the trans. Yes, the part number you provide matches:
        I assumed that because you didn't post about the crank sensor holes that you weren't planning on using them haha.

Yeah, you'd need to drill those bosses out and run a flywheel with a reference pin for crank pickup. 84-85 325e had heavy single mass flywheels with a crank pickup tab, and the early 528e had a lightweight single mass with a crank pickup tab.

Comment

I assumed that because you didn't post about the crank sensor holes that you weren't planning on using them haha.

Yeah, you'd need to drill those bosses out and run a flywheel with a reference pin for crank pickup. 84-85 had heavy single mass flywheels with a crank pickup tab, and the early 528e had a lightweight single mass with a crank pickup tab.
          Do I need to use them? Someone mentioned that I might be able to use an i front crank sensor?

In other words, if I don't use the bosses, what do I do?

Comment

Do I need to use them? Someone mentioned that I might be able to use an i front crank sensor?

In other words, if I don't use the bosses, what do I do?

To not use the bellhousing mounted crank sesnor setup you would need to do a full Motronic 1.3 conversion which is its own research topic for you.

The easiest thing to do is just find an 84-87 325e g260 that'll have the bosses already drilled out for the bellhousing mounted crank sensors.

Just make sure you use a flywheel with a reference tab for crank pickup or your car won't run and you'll have to pull the trans back out.

Comment

To not use the bellhousing mounted crank sesnor setup you would need to do a full Motronic 1.3 conversion which is its own research topic for you.

The easiest thing to do is just find an 84-87 325e g260 that'll have the bosses already drilled out for the bellhousing mounted crank sensors.

Just make sure you use a flywheel with a reference tab for crank pickup or your car won't run and you'll have to pull the trans back out.
              Thanks. I should have mentioned: I am doing the 2.7i budget stroker - 2.7 eta bottom end with 885 i head. So I will already have the i "top end". I am planning on turboing and using a Speeduino ECU. Does that make it any easier?

Comment

Thanks. I should have mentioned: I am doing the 2.7i budget stroker - 2.7 eta bottom end with 885 i head. So I will already have the i "top end". I am planning on turboing and using a Speeduino ECU. Does that make it any easier?
                Yeah, you *should* be using the Motronic 1.3 parts with that setup, which will use a front crank trigger at the harmonic balancer, and thus you won't need the bellhousing mounted crank sensors any more.

Comment

Working...
                X