No announcement yet.

any tips on removing the selector shaft seal getrag 260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best way to get the selector shaft seal out, or any seal for that matter, is with a seal puller. Sort of a hook shaped object. They come in a variety of sizes and the smallest will work on the selector shaft seal.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

it's not even worth the time to pull it. drive the new one right over the old one. works like a charm.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This is a beautiful find. Took me less than a minute to drive the new one with out removing the old one.
        flickr
        ifuckindrift

Comment

Originally posted by A Sucked Orange View Post
          About to do the selector seal on my iX. Should I really just push the old one in deeper? I want to be sure before I create a nightmare.

I was having the issue of getting mine out also, and after seeing this thread, pushed the new one in over the old one. idk if i damaged one of the seals but now, the shifter does not center itself in neutral from the left side. If i take it out of 1st or 2nd gear, and leave the shifter vertically centered, it does not move itself back to horizontal center. In fact, it requires a decent effort to move it to center form the left. I will not be able to make fast or accurate shifts easily between sencond/first gear and 3rd/4th/5th. I suspect that there is too much torsional friction on the shaft from the extra seal. next time i have to do the clutch, (sooner then later; i abuse it) i will fish out both selector seals and see if it makes a difference. i'm hoping this issue resolves itself after driving a little bit. or at the least that it will be corrected with a single shaft seal. I will despise this shifter if it stays like this.
          Last edited by wakeboardr42393; 08-11-2013, 07:59 PM.
          '87 325is [because racecar]
          '81 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD {summer dd}
          '97 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited (winter dd)

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
            Nando is right, there is room for 3 in there. But you never know how many are in there.
            IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Push the old seal in and install the new one on top of it? Are you guys champion flatraters or just lazy? That is fucked up. Do it right the first time.

Comment

I did it that way 7 years ago now. No leaks.

If you want to do it the hard way "just because", no skin off my nose..
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck C View Post
                  Push the old seal in and install the new one on top of it? Are you guys champion flatraters or just lazy? That is fucked up. Do it right the first time.

lol! this is funny how you put it.

Yeah, Next time I do it i will pull the old seal(s) out.

The reason I did not is because that thing was so stuck in there, it BROKE half of my picks and seal pick tools. I'll just buy a stronger tool i guess? lol
                  '87 325is [because racecar]
                  '81 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD {summer dd}
                  '97 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited (winter dd)

Comment

i know this is an old thread, but this is how I did it.

DD '03 AW M3

Comment

Working...
                    X