ZF behind an m20, pro/con's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonny Cash View Post
    Of course you :) I just think its not worth the work. I would go grab that 3.46 at the yard and see how that serves you first. BTW you should come by and grab that cluster next time you come down this way. I have the garage setup as a paint booth, spraying cabinets working from home.
    Nice, I'll have to check out the booth lol. I told Carlos, you should paint the car, specially the way you were putting on the high build primer, you were acting as it was the final coat!

I have an issue with my clutch and/or trans now, so it's got to come out regardless. The clutch is engaging, but feels like it's sticking or something cause the gears are hard to get into, yet the pedal only has to be down a bit for the engine to free-rev, and it's definitely not slipping. So, it's my thought to just throw the ZF in there instead of spending the dough/time at the yard for a diff.

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
    ZF+2.93 = win

Cruising 26-2700 at 80mph with the 1:1 5th is a lot of fun with a s52! For an m20 I think it would be more fun then the 260+3:73.1st goes to about 35 at 7k, 65 at redline in 2nd, and about 105 in 3rd.
    No way does the 3.73 have those kind of speeds. Right now I have to shift into 2nd at about 35-40 and into 3rd at 65 or so, 3rd get's me well over 100, prolly like 120/130-ish. How could it be the same for a 3.73? Click the youtube link in my sig, and you can see where I'm shifting.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      what the hell, you fucking whippersnapper...I never was fast anyway!

Heh...no. I just wanna see my car turning about 2300 at 70

First step would be to get rid of that 3.73. Thats the cheap route.
      ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

Well I think it's the throwout bearing. Driving home tinight, I could hear the sound reflecting off the curb on a median. Then I pushed a little on the pedal and felt it :(

No matter what tranny goes in, still need a TO bearing, clutch was replaced just before I bought the car.

Sux too, cause when Erick and I were leaving my shop tonight, we got on it a "little" side by side. Seemed like it might be a good run if the 2.7i had a better drive ratio, and could actually get into second while on the go-pedal :( His big six definitely pins you in the seat harder, tough.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Keep the getrag.

Bust balls all you want about the high build :) Less runs and drips there is, the less sanding there is.. You know chances are, ill be the one sanding it! Id like to break in my new gun properly, so I hope to do the finish.
          -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
          2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Cash View Post
            Keep the getrag.

Bust balls all you want about the high build :) Less runs and drips there is, the less sanding there is.. You know chances are, ill be the one sanding it! Id like to break in my new gun properly, so I hope to do the finish.
            Wasn't bustin balls! The way you were spraying, I thought you would be a good finish painter, how's that bustin balls?
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

I have a 88 325is with a 3.73 lsd. From what I know the motor and trans are stock.
              At in 5th gear, at 70mph my RPMs are at 5k. That just seem too high for me.

You guys have any idea if this is normal rpm range at 70mph or maybe the previous owner changed the trans to a different one and that's why its so high. Right now my top end is about 105mph. if that
              Last edited by Jakub; 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM.

Comment

something is wrong, either you aren't in 5th gear, your tires are way too small, or your cluster is way off. somebody could have swapped diffs, but even with a 4.10 you can do 130ish with the stock redline.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Jakub View Post
                  I have a 88 325is with a 3.73 lsd. From what I know the motor and trans are stock.
                  At in 5th gear, at 70mph my RPMs are at 5k. That just seem too high for me.

You guys have any idea if this is normal rpm range at 70mph or maybe the previous owner changed the trans to a different one and that's why its so high. Right now my top end is about 105mph. if that
                  That would be about right if the cluster had the coding plug for a four cylinder engine.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                    That would be about right if the cluster had the coding plug for a four cylinder engine.
                    How can I identify the coding plug?

Comment

I hate my 4.10

Comment

Working...
                      X