Cannot get into gear/ clutch to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot get into gear/ clutch to work

I bought this car as a project after the previous owner couldn't figure it out right. It is a 1986 325iX and I am trying to determine if something in the clutch was put together wrong. I can find the gears when the car is off, with a little bit of noise, but the clutch will not work right. The previous owner replaced the clutch and I am not sure if he did it wrong, or it is something like the slave, master cylinder, or linkage.

Here is how the clutch pedal sits, is is somewhat cocked to the side at an angle, not straight:

When I try to put it in gear with the car running it has a larger resistance like I am trying to put it in 6th or something where there is no gear. The only time I felt anything was when I first started it and pushed it all the way to the floor. I felt a vibration and some noise like something spinning or catching. After that I added more fluid, found a leak in my brake lines, bled the master on the side of the tranny. Lots of black fluid came out and now its clean. I topped off the fluid and it has the same problem, not going into gear. Pumping clutch does not change much, it comes back up but does not have very much resistance.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas to try? This is my first project car and have not had much experience with some of this stuff.

Here are my ideas.
    Bad Master Cylinder or Slave cylinder.
    Fork/Linkage between the pedal and the clutch
    Throw out bearing backward
    Air bubbles in the system, need to bleed some more since complete transmission came out and PO said he never bled the clutch

I am prepared to do anything to avoid removing the transmission since it is an iX and I can't drive it anywhere right now and would prefer not to pull the driveline out (Absolute last resort!).

Do you have any ideas or checks I could do? Supposedly the PO checked to make sure the clutch was on the correct way and would assume the throw out bearing is good because it was a daily in july.

Thanks!
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

It sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging. That could be from a bad master cylinder, a leaking slave cylinder or line, or air in the system. The first step would be the bleed the clutch system. If that doesn't help you could replace the master & slave. But if that doesn't help the transmission will have to come out to see what is wrong with the clutch.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

With black fluid coming out, I gather the tapered o-ring in either the master or slave has deteriorated. Like Jim said, bleed the system and go from there. Pumping the clutch to bleed doesn't always work, and when it does, it takes a long time with significant air in the lines.

Helps to have a friend, have someone push the clutch to the floor, open/close the bleeder. Release the clutch, press to the floor and repeat until a solid stream comes out. Usually about 2x doing this works good enough so you can pump it a few more times to get the last bit.

Check around the master for leaks if you didn't see any near the slave while under the car.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks guys, I rebled the system and this time I have a stuffer pedal,especially the last quarter of travel. I have a new slave on the way and have not found signs of a leaky master/slave/line but it is worth it to investigate more.

I was thinking and should theoretically feel grinding with the car running when I tried to push it into gear, but nothing like that happens, it is just tough, but no grinding. Does that tell me anything? I guess I have not put it all the way into gear, but shouldn't I be able to put it in gear without the clutch, like clutchless transmissions, or transmissions without synchros gears?

Still trying to brainstorm, new slave should be here friday.

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

You won't be able to get the transmission into gear from a stop with the engine running without using the clutch. An if the clutch isn't disengaging it will feel like exactly what you've described.

I really doubt that replacing the slave is going to fix this. The only possible failure of the slave is a blown seal, in which case the pedal will go down and not return and fluid will leak out of the bell housing. Since bleeding the system didn't help, replace the master cylinder.

Comment

Thanks Jim you have been helpful I will try that. I found out the pressure plate it stock but the clutch is not. Is there any chance the clutch is not moving enough and a bigger master will be more effective? Possibly a bigger diameter creating more pressure/ a further movement of the clutch with the same pedal movement.

Comment

The clutch parts could be wrong or improperly installed. But before I'd pull the transmission I'd replace the master cylinder and check the clutch pedal and pedal box for broken parts.

Comment

Thanks, I have been busy with school now, but will be trying to swap the clutch slave and possible master to trouble shoot. I found out the PO installed an 'F1' Clutch, probably from ebay. I asked him if he replaced the pressure plate and he did not.

Assuming he bought the correct clutch for the transmission on ebay, only one result showed up that did not include the pressure plate. If he did install this one, is there any way it is stiffer etc?

F1 RACING® 6 puck ceramic disc is for the serious enthusiasts with considerable modification. F1 RACING® disc features 12 high-coefficient ceramic pads for extreme duty friction and quick engagement. F1 RACING® specifically designed high torque disc delivers maximum holding capacity without compromise. The sprung retainer assembly boasts heat treated 6 dual springs and severe duty retainer rivets, ensuring power and reliability.

The advantages of F1 RACING® 6 puck ceramic disc:
                Chromoly disc hub is heat treated for strength and durability
                Quicker shifting due to reduced weight
                Higher torque and heat capacity than organic discs with fade free characteristics
                Spring center construction properly dampens torsional vibration for quieter operation
                Reduced driveline shock and spline life due to torsional dampeners
                Original Link

Comment

Working...
                X