Something is wrong... Diff question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something is wrong... Diff question.

So I have an 89 325i convertible 5speed and from everything I have read this car is supposed to have a 4.10 LSD, I've also read that it could have a 3.73 LSD.

I wanted to check to make sure it was in fact an LSD by jacking the back end up and spinning one tire. If it truly is an LSD both tires should spin in the same direction. Mine do not, which leads me to believe it is an open diff.

My dad bought this car brand new back in 89 and the diff has never been replaced or messed with. How is this possible?
    Last edited by SwiftE30; 02-02-2012, 08:53 PM.
    1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

Not all verts had LSD's. From what i have seen they also follow coupe specs and are 3.73 for 5speed and 4.10 for autotragic.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Although many verts do have LSD, it wasn't a standard option.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Ahh ok. I hadn't read that anywhere, but that sucks.

I'm going FI anyways so I'm looking for a 2.93 LSD now. I know there is a 325e at my local JY and those are supposed to have that diff. Let's hope it's still there.

I am however having second thoughts about the 2.93. Anyone think a 3.25 LSD would be better gearing for FI w/ 97 '3 zf trans?

Comment

Only 86-87 year model ETA has that diff. You want one out of an eS. 84-85 ETAs had 2.79 gears.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            Only 86-87 year model ETA has that diff. You want one out of an eS. 84-85 ETAs had 2.79 gears.
            so if the eta i found is in fact an 86-87 it will have the 2.93lsd? and are you saying that the 2.97lsd from the 84-85 ETAs would be better for FI

Comment

Working...
            X