Won't go in first gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't go in first gear?

I have an M42 with a G240 in my '91 318i. I noticed that quite suddenly (overnight) my car is having issues shifting into first gear. It will shift into first with no grinds/pops but sometimes it just takes some force. It seems like it only does this when cold.When the car is warm the problem is completely gone it seems. When the car is off it seems like it shifts through all the gears perfectly. Also, shifting into second briefly and then to first eliminates the problem. Could this be as simple as a problem with the selector rod/bushings?
    1991 318i - T-Boned
    1987 325is - Sold
    1991 318is - Current

synchros are getting worn. Just push in the clutch, release the clutch, then push in the clutch and try again. Sometimes I'll go to reverse or another gear and back to 1st (like you already are).

unless you want to rebuild the transmission, that will work for a long ass time. it's probably not worth getting excited about. the G240 isn't the strongest transmission in the world but behind an M42 it should last many hundreds of thousands of miles. My G260 is somewhere north of 300k.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      synchros are getting worn. Just push in the clutch, release the clutch, then push in the clutch and try again. Sometimes I'll go to reverse or another gear and back to 1st (like you already are).

unless you want to rebuild the transmission, that will work for a long ass time. it's probably not worth getting excited about. the G240 isn't the strongest transmission in the world but behind an M42 it should last many hundreds of thousands of miles. My G260 is somewhere north of 300k.
      I was going to go to my first AutoX this weekend and everything else mechanically in the car is in good shape so Im thinking I should be fine with this minor issue?
      1991 318i - T-Boned
      1987 325is - Sold
      1991 318is - Current

Comment

Yeah, you won't be shifting to first gear at speed anyway. Not unless you don't like it. :p
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

quite suddenly (overnight) my car is having issues shifting into first gear
          This would make me confirm clutch hydraulic operation. If the clutch is dragging slightly,
          it can be hard to get it into first- harder than 2nd.

You've checked fluid levels in the brake reservoir and trans, I'm guessing...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Clutch and tranny fluids were checked. I'm looking at the car more tonight when I'm off work so I'll see what I can find out.
            1991 318i - T-Boned
            1987 325is - Sold
            1991 318is - Current

Comment

Just an update I did change the trans fluid and put a medium case lsd in over the weekend with fresh fluid as well and the problem seems to have ceased.... for now
              1991 318i - T-Boned
              1987 325is - Sold
              1991 318is - Current

Comment

Working...
              X