Mig Weld diff for BMW E30 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mig Weld diff for BMW E30 318is

Hi. I´m building a BMW E30 for rallyes and trackdays.
    I have 4 stock diff and I just want to use one of them for have some fun on the race track.
    Mig Weld could be a cheap solution.
    For 136hp can be strong or it´s a suicide?

136hp is poo, weld those spider gears up!
    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
      136hp is poo, weld those spider gears up!
      Oks. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Is the backside of that gear housing open like shown or not? There is a trick way to lock them solid without welding.

I done it to ford 9" carriers when rules at my track read "NO welding on gears, spools, or mini spools" lol, the next year they had to revise their rules.
        sigpic
        Reich und Roll!

Comment

The small case diff can be welded up at the spiders, no problem. I found they lasted
          just fine as long as you didn't let the carrier heat up much. If you try to weld the spiders
          to the carrier, sometimes the carrier doesn't survive the process, or distorts.

I've welded half a dozen with a 120v mig, and so far, none have failed. Well,
          the welding hasn't- I got slag in one, and didn't catch it,
          and that chewed the gears up pretty quickly.

Preheat to 400f or so beforehand, and alternate your welding, and it works just fine.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

Preheat to 400f or so beforehand, and alternate your welding, and it works just fine.

t
            Good idea.

Be sure to remove all of the oil before welding to get the best penetration.

I feel sorry for your tyres already
            ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Working...
            X