changing trans fluid on g260/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing trans fluid on g260/5

I am ever so close to driving my E30 after 1.5 years...I don't want to take any chances with the M30 G260 5spd transmission I pulled from a PnP.

do I need one of those transfer pumps in order to replace the fluid?

this is something I should of done while everything was out ffs...but oh well.

if not, I'm having a little difficulty finding a quick DYI
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

There are two basic challenges to changing the transmission fluid on the E30 for the DIY'er. The first is to find a 17mm hex (a shallow 17mm at that) to undo the transmission fill and drain plugs. The second challenge is how to actually get new fluid back in because the drain plug is surrounded
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Thanks noid
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Another decent way to get it in is to get transfer pump. Get one that works like a giant syringe. Should be pretty easy peasy.

One note - open the fill nut BEFORE you drain, just to be sure you'll be able to refill it. ;)
        Estoguy
        1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

I hang a funnel off of the passenger's side mirror and run the length of vinyl tubing UNDER the car.
          When fluid starts pouring back out of the fill hole, I crawl under, get stinky, and put the plug back in.

That way I don't run the risk of getting MT inside the car. Stuff stinks...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
          X