Short Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Shifter

hey guys wondering if i were to buy a z4 shifter and put it into a 1990 325i would i have to have it bent ? also is Bma the way to go ?
    thanks

re"search" ;) and no you don't need to bend it I don't recall. BMA works perfectly fine I've ordered from them and Patrick is a great guy to deal with!
    sigpic

Comment

you'll have to either bend it or take out your harmonic balancer on the driveshaft.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
        you'll have to either bend it or take out your harmonic balancer on the driveshaft.
        you technically need to bend it anyway if you want it perfectly centered in the shift console.

I had to do that with my M Roaster lever.

Comment

How would one go about bending these levers?
          Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

read and learn: http://home.onlineok.com/~compman/Artwork/bendinst.pdf

Comment

you dont have to bend the lever, you have to bend the selector rod or remove your harmonic balancer
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

what does the hermonic balancer actually do ? if i were to remove it is there any down side to not having it ? if i just removed the hermonic balancer would ther be a need to bend it ?

Comment

To bend the harmonic balancer you can just get creative with a table vise and three sockets. You can take the harmonic balancer off and not bend the rod, this might give you a slight vibration at higher speeds and you might feel a small bit of power after taking it off. I got the z4 ssk and i bent the rod and have been happy with that but my DD has the z3 ssk and i also like that kit and you dont have to mess with the rod. Good luck with what you choose, ssk kit is a very nice thing to have. I also say you should make a clutch stop, this complements the ssk and is very cheap to make at home depot.
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Originally posted by browntown
                    Good read. Thanks.
                    Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by rede30
                      To bend the harmonic balancer
                      Don't bend the vibration damper. ;)

Comment

If you don't bend it, the lever will sit SLIGHTLY forward and to the right in the console (I can't even notice), since it's a straight lever (the stock ones are bent).
                        Originally posted by Gruelius
                        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

ha ha harmonic balancer

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                          X